Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Requests to Hops Growers  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Requests to Hops Growers
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:17:53 am »
Freshhops says multihead is low alpha and peachy.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »
Freshhops says multihead is low alpha and peachy.

It's a shame they don't have pellets. At only 2-3% AA you could really stuff a massive amount of these into your whirlpool and still keep your IBU's at a relatively low level.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:44 pm »

Multihead is a variety grown in New Mexico. I just bought some on
I talked to some guys a couple of years ago who were doing some research into wild hops found in NM, but they were very tight with info.  I saw somewhere that El Dorado is a hop developed from wild hops in NM but I don't know if that's true or not, and I've never heard of Multihead.

I actually spoke with Todd a few months ago and he did say that he began with wild NM hops that they found at high elevation (8000 feet) and kept the ones that did well at 6000, also mentioned that there are a good proportion of citrus compounds to be found in the varieties that came out of their breeding efforts.  He also mentioned that he worked out a deal with a grower up in Yakima to take over his project.  Here's a little background: http://www.santafe.com/article/humulus-lupulus-neomexicanus and where to buy cuttings: http://www.rnventerprises.com/files/Variety_Descriptions_20134.pdf.

Never used any of them myself but would like to in the future.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »

Multihead is a variety grown in New Mexico. I just bought some on
I talked to some guys a couple of years ago who were doing some research into wild hops found in NM, but they were very tight with info.  I saw somewhere that El Dorado is a hop developed from wild hops in NM but I don't know if that's true or not, and I've never heard of Multihead.

I actually spoke with Todd a few months ago and he did say that he began with wild NM hops that they found at high elevation (8000 feet) and kept the ones that did well at 6000, also mentioned that there are a good proportion of citrus compounds to be found in the varieties that came out of their breeding efforts.  He also mentioned that he worked out a deal with a grower up in Yakima to take over his project.  Here's a little background: http://www.santafe.com/article/humulus-lupulus-neomexicanus and where to buy cuttings: http://www.rnventerprises.com/files/Variety_Descriptions_20134.pdf.

Never used any of them myself but would like to in the future.
Thanks, I bookmarked it so I can order in the spring.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:58:25 pm »
As far as I know, El Dorado was developed in Yakima and does not have a NM hop background.  One that was in development from NM stock was simply called "LR" when I got a sample of it, I don't know if it has taken on another name since.  I know it is not the same as El Dorado, because I was also given some of those.

If you were at the NHC in Seattle and went to Stan Hieronymus's talk on hop varieties, two of the single hop beers were made with those varieties.  The other two were Meridian and Mosaic.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 05:47:47 am »
I am personally fascinated by the potential of native hops; ie var. neomexicanus , the hop variety native to western north America. 
Not only found in New Mexico btw.

Interesting to see some actually come to market @ Freshops. 8)

I think there may be some traction there, perhaps because of the tremendous rise in craft brewing and the return to producing local goods with local resources.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:52 am »
As far as I know, El Dorado was developed in Yakima and does not have a NM hop background.  One that was in development from NM stock was simply called "LR" when I got a sample of it, I don't know if it has taken on another name since.  I know it is not the same as El Dorado, because I was also given some of those.

If you were at the NHC in Seattle and went to Stan Hieronymus's talk on hop varieties, two of the single hop beers were made with those varieties.  The other two were Meridian and Mosaic.
That was an outstanding talk by Stan, and you beers single hop beers really illustrated the qualities of those hops. The LR was a little "rough"for my taste.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:37 am »

That was an outstanding talk by Stan, and you beers single hop beers really illustrated the qualities of those hops. The LR was a little "rough"for my taste.
Yeah, the LR was not my favorite.  I didn't really love the El Dorado as a single hop either.

I just checked my notes to see the AA of the LR, turns out it was actually called LR11 and was 5.5% alpha.  El Dorado was 13.8% alpha.  And for completeness, Meridian was 5.4%, Mosaic 10.4%.
Tom Schmidlin