General Category > All Grain Brewing

Starter All Grain Equipment

<< < (2/5) > >>

beersk:
I'm going to suggest brew in a bag, because it's awesome and easy. I did the cooler thing for the last several years only to find brew in a bag, and I love it. It combines the ease of extract brewing with the control of all grain. And it's cheaper for start up. Currently, I do 3 gallon brews in a bag on the stove top. Dig it.

denny:

--- Quote from: beersk on March 10, 2013, 12:49:17 PM ---I'm going to suggest brew in a bag, because it's awesome and easy. I did the cooler thing for the last several years only to find brew in a bag, and I love it. It combines the ease of extract brewing with the control of all grain. And it's cheaper for start up. Currently, I do 3 gallon brews in a bag on the stove top. Dig it.

--- End quote ---

BIAB seems like a viable method of you do small batches like you do.  But when I think about lifting a bag with 15+ lb. of hot, wet grain, it makes me glad for my cooler.

dannyjed:
When I started thinking about going all grain, I looked at buying a round cooler set up on NB.  Luckily, I checked out Denny's site and realized I already had a rectangler cooler and a 7.5 gal boil kettle.  So, for about $10 jumped into all grain and never looked back.  I eventually bought a better and bigger boil kettle, but the "cheap and easy method" has been working great for me for 4 years.  I think I might eventually get into a single tier system with a pump to save my back, but starting out simple just makes sense.

jamminbrew:
I bought a 52 quart rectangular cooler from a major retail store for $20. The parts from a major home building store, $20. Quick and easy. And it doesn't have to be blue. Don't let these guys fool you, red is just as awesome... 8)

beersk:

--- Quote from: denny on March 10, 2013, 02:08:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: beersk on March 10, 2013, 12:49:17 PM ---I'm going to suggest brew in a bag, because it's awesome and easy. I did the cooler thing for the last several years only to find brew in a bag, and I love it. It combines the ease of extract brewing with the control of all grain. And it's cheaper for start up. Currently, I do 3 gallon brews in a bag on the stove top. Dig it.

--- End quote ---

BIAB seems like a viable method of you do small batches like you do.  But when I think about lifting a bag with 15+ lb. of hot, wet grain, it makes me glad for my cooler.

--- End quote ---
True. I think brew in a bag is practical really for the up-to-5-gallons kinda brewing; I think it's still a viable method for 5 gallons. But much more and you're limited, for sure. People have ways to hang the bag and whatnot over the kettle instead of having to hold it while it drains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version