Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BB King tonight  (Read 4211 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BB King tonight
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:39 pm »
Too bad, but we need to remember him for his greatness. 

Dave King, BIER

+1 Dave

The same way I feel about BB.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 02:09:46 pm »
Yeah, I love BB but when I saw him 15 years ago it was obvious to me he was just "wheeled" out there and that the thrill really was gone. They had another guitarists doing most of the riffs and BB played a bit here and there but was mostly just on display. Cool that I can say I saw him though, he is a legend.

This sounds like the same tour I saw.  The guitar player with the blonde pony tail from Saturday Night Live (Jones, Johnson?) did all the work.
Still not as bad as the time I saw (the back of) Bob Dylan's (head) concert.

Yeah, that might of been it. Thinking now it was almost 16 years ago this coming fall or late summer. My wife was pregnant with 1st child at the time.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »
Yeah, I love BB but when I saw him 15 years ago it was obvious to me he was just "wheeled" out there and that the thrill really was gone. They had another guitarists doing most of the riffs and BB played a bit here and there but was mostly just on display. Cool that I can say I saw him though, he is a legend.

This sounds like the same tour I saw.  The guitar player with the blonde pony tail from Saturday Night Live (Jones, Johnson?) did all the work.
Still not as bad as the time I saw (the back of) Bob Dylan's (head) concert.

Yeah, that might of been it. Thinking now it was almost 16 years ago this coming fall or late summer. My wife was pregnant with 1st child at the time.

A little googling refreshes my memory (by the way, it is Douglas Adam's birthday) to find that G.E. Smith was the guitarist, but it was at the Dylan concert I remembered.  The BB concert was a long time ago and he was already old, but still enjoyable.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »
I've seen BB King about 20-25 times dating back to the early 90's but haven't seen him since 2008.  The last couple of shows were inconsistent where he would sing and play a lot in one show, but then the next he would just sing and not play much at all.  So maybe each show just depends on his health.  However, even the couple of shows that he didn't play much, it was amazing to watch how much vibrato he would get using just his pinkie finger. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg