Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactate Taste Threshold Experiment  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Lactate Taste Threshold Experiment
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:41 am »
Last weekend I did a yeast handling presentation to Brew Free Or Die club members and I took the opportunity to conduct a lactate taste threshold experiment with 8 club members. While it had little to do with the topic of the technical session it is a subject where I wanted to do some experimentation for quite some time.

Acidulated malt and 88% lactic acid are very popular acids for mash pH correction but since lactic acid has a rather distinct taste the question that is on many brewer’s minds is: “How much lactic acid is too much“.

Since in most cases lactic acid is only added to counteract water alkalinity and bring the mash pH into the desirable range of 5.3-5.5 it can be assumed that the added lactic acid will not lead to a lower than normal beer pH. In other words, we don’t have to worry about beers that taste sour.  But we do have to worry about the characteristic taste of lactate. Lactate is what’s left when lactic acid gives up its proton to neutralize a base or contribute to pH changes.

The experiment was designed such that the acidity of the lactic acid was neutralized with slaked lime. While that also adds calcium in addition to the lactate it matches brewing reality where highly alkaline waters oftentimes come with high calcium levels. I had the choice between calcium (from slaked lime) or sodium (from sodium hydroxide).  Both calcium lactate and sodium lactate tasted very similar in water which shows that sodium doesn’t necessarily lead to a salty taste. I decided to go with calcium lactate since calcium is generally the dominant cation in alkaline waters.

I was very surprised to see how many of the tasters struggled with identifying the flavor in the 4 sets of samples they were given (water, Bud Light, Budweiser and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale). Even levels as high 1200 mg/l, which amounts to a whopping 23% acidulated malt, were not correctly identified by some tasters.  Below is a link to a more formal write-up of the experiment and those interested can go ahead and check my numbers.

Here is a chart that shows for each taster the highest lactate level that was identified as tasting like the control:

After having done this experiment and having tasted samples with added lactate myself I think that a safe upper limit of 400 mg/l lactate or 7% acidulated malt is reasonable with the assumption that the mash and beer pH are at acceptable levels. While 7% is higher than the 5% that is currently seen as the safe upper limit for acidulated malt use it should be noted that there might be other benefits to  reducing the amount of minerals in a given water before acidulated malt is used to neutralize the remaining alkalinity.

A formal write-up of the experiment can be found on the braukaiser.com wiki: Lactate Taste Threshold Experiment

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lactate Taste Threshold Experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:54 am »
Very interesting info, as always, Kai.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »
Thanks for publishing this Kai.  I can be a bit less conservative in my use of acid malt having this data.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »
I read this in your blog this morning. Excellent work sir!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:42:55 pm »
Thanks guys.

I also encourage others to try this experiment yourself. Preparing the lactate solution is fairly easy to do if you have a pH meter and pickling lime. And since you can easily correct by adding more of the un-neutralized lactic acid solution w/o changing the dilution you don't have to worry about overshooting the Ca(OH)2 additions.

Kai

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:49:20 pm »
Very cool experiment, thanks Kai.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 06:44:19 am »
Thanks Kai.  Great info as always!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:34 am »
Keep up the good work!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:46:29 pm »
I love reading about experiments like this, nice work Kai, and thank you!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:50:09 pm »
Kai, You truly are THE Imperial Brewing Geek.  Thanks for your efforts as always.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim