Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Honey in a Heffe?  (Read 2673 times)

Offline dirtybiz

• Cellarman
Honey in a Heffe?
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:57:29 am »
Alright guys, next week I'm going to attempt a clone of a local DFW beer call Revolver Blood and Honey.  It is an American Wheat style beer with Blood Orange Zest, Local Honey and spices.  I've got the spice and Orange down but have never used Honey in a brew. 

I'm looking for a strong honey aroma with a nice recognizable honey finish.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It will be a 5 gal batch. 

Thanks

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Honey in a Heffe?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:03:32 am »
While ive never worked with honey either i would thinking if you want the aroma and a sweet finish you would want to finish your beer and cold crash the yeast out and add it right before you keg/bottle.  you dont want the yeast eating all the fermentable sugars.  you could always had a small amount of honey to the glass as you drink it?  or you could make a Blood Orange syrup with honey as the sugar source.  there was a neat article about syrups in this months Zymurgy.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Honey in a Heffe?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »
Add the honey post fermentation for the strongest flavor and aroma. It will still ferment out but you will not lose majority of aroma during co2 put gassing during fermentation.

I don't think I would enjoy adding honey directly the glass.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »
Honey malt is a good option if you want honey flavor in your finished beer. If you are using actual honey, then the later you add it (I.e., after primary has finished up) the more flavor and aroma will make it to the finished beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Honey in a Heffe?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »
I have read a lot about how honey malt leaves a honey flavor, but in my experience it doesn't really taste like honey. Regardless, use it sparingly if you go that route. A little goes a long way.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:59 pm »
I think that beer is terrible, so I'm not sure what good advice I could offer. It tastes like potpurri IMO.

I was thinking honey malt would be the appropriate direction but really I don't taste a lot of honey in that beer. It's more the spices and orange that comes through. I think you would be ok just using regular honey and adding it at flameout or mid-fermentation if you feel comfortable with it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing