Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggestions for Beer for Cinco de Mayo  (Read 5676 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Suggestions for Beer for Cinco de Mayo
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »
I was going to suggest a Maibock.
Dan Chisholm

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 12:35:36 pm »
I brewed a Vienna Lager type beer that was on the low end of the stats for gravity and ibu's, substituted corn meal (cereal mashed) for 20% of the pilsner malt, and fermented with WLP940 (Mexican Lager).
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline positiverpr

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:58 am »
last year i made a "mexican-american maibock". basically a malt liquor. 1.070 50/50 2 row/pilsner and 20%corn. added a touch of munich/carapils and for some reason that i dont remember some rye. dry-"hopped" with a roasted anaheim pepper. fermented with re-pitched bock lager yeast and fermented a little warmer(52) to get a few esters. sort of morphed it from daddy's little helper. it wsa a good beer but if i brewed it again i'd shoot for more than the 33 ibu's that it had. right to style but just a little too sweet to drink much of.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 04:34:18 pm »
I suppose I should make a Vienna lager?

Honestly, I would make a blonde ale (we're on edition IV now, FWIW). It's popular as hell, even the BMC drinkers love it.  My other most popular beer is Elderberry Wheat, believe it or not. Again, the BMC drinkers seem to love it.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:14 pm »
What yeast you use Al?

The pepper beer sounds good.

I made the Vienna lager and then made a light lager and for some reason I didn't set the MrMalty calculator to lager and just pitched a vial of mexi-lager yeast in 3gal of wort.  I figure this one might just be a large starter for the next batch, I'm even debating whether to take it out of the 50F fermentor chamber and let it run hot to get it done faster.  Any hope for this beer being drinkable?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
What yeast you use Al?

I made the Vienna lager and then made a light lager and for some reason I didn't set the MrMalty calculator to lager and just pitched a vial of mexi-lager yeast in 3gal of wort.  I figure this one might just be a large starter for the next batch, I'm even debating whether to take it out of the 50F fermentor chamber and let it run hot to get it done faster.  Any hope for this beer being drinkable?

Let's see, Lennie, if you were making a Corona clone, what would make you think it would be drinkable even if you did pitch the right amount of yeast? ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »
Because I made it of course.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 06:20:57 am »
What yeast you use Al?

You should be okay - creep up the temp slowly and do a long diacetyl rest. Rack it to a keg and "lager" in your kegorator if you can. That way you keep up the experiment without taking up any fermentor space.

You could also krausen with that next batch of lager if this one needs a bit of cleaning up.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/