Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PID autotune question  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
PID autotune question
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:20 am »
I have a RIMS and bought a new water heater element with a higher wattage than the existing one. I was gonna install and run the autotune function. Do you think recirculating water instead of wort will make much of a difference?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: PID autotune question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
I think as long as you set the water flowrate to approximately what your recirc rate will be during a mash, it should work just fine.

Make sure you start the auto-tune after you've got the flowrate adjusted and the water around mash temps.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:01 am »
Make sure you start the auto-tune after you've got the flowrate adjusted and the water around mash temps.

+1 I BIAB and continuously recirculate with a direct fired kettle. Using water or wort when auto tuning is a mute issue, in my experience. I have helped others automate their rigs. On the other hand; flow rate and heat output (BTU) WILL have an affect. I use my PID w/RTD to heat the water to strike temp and then to maintain mash temp. I do try to set the burner to the same BTU setting each time, but I don't get too anal over it. The PID does correct/adjust a little. But it has not been a problem for me. YMMV
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:20 am »
When you say  "around mash temp" can you be more specific? I was thinking of preheating the water to around 110f and going from there.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving