Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Colorado Hop Garden Techniques  (Read 6456 times)

Offline charliemartel

• 1st Kit
Re: Colorado Hop Garden Techniques
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:28:48 am »
I wonder if you could simulate the 'shaded ground' thing by applying a thick layer of mulch or hay around the bottom of the vines?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:31 am »
I wonder if you could simulate the 'shaded ground' thing by applying a thick layer of mulch or hay around the bottom of the vines?

you sure could. it would be a good idea. You could use a nice thick layer of well worked compost and it would be even better.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:36 am »
I'm not quite sure what the shaded ground technique is, but I would add mulch around the base of your vines anyways. It will allow for moisture retention, and as it begins to decompose, nutrients will be returned to the soil. I usually collect pine needles and put down a layer of them first. Pine needles are acidic, which also promites good hop growth. I then clean out the firewood shed and add the remnants of bark on top. It looks ugly, but effective. I have a picture posted on the "hop growing" child board. Most don't have access to these resources, so pick up a bag of mulch or two.
Frank

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 09:02:50 am »
I've always read that you can grow them between the 35th and 55th parallels... I tried growing in PHX (33rd parallel) for about 5 yrs, had a little success but ultimately not worth it. I found for a region where its hot and dry you need full afternoon sun. So here in PHX they had to be on an East/South facing wall. They always had 3-6" of alfalfa straw mulched on them and they drank alot of water. I also noticed when it got to 105F and above they stop growing. The hardest part for me was getting them to survive over the winter... I either watered them to much or not enough...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:06 pm »
I'll most definitely have to use the mulching technique.  I've also recently heard that Cascades grow particularly well in Colorado, which is the strain I had growing best (with my theory of the shaded area).  Not sure if there's much merit in this.  I suppose it would make sense that certain breeds work better in certain areas though.