Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to transfer between kegs  (Read 7133 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
how to transfer between kegs
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:32 am »
I need to transfer a beer from one keg to another.
What is the best way to get this done? 

I know I could siphon in open air, but I thought I remember something about a jumper setup from one keg to another while cleaning?  Could that work?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: how to transfer between kegs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:48 am »
I think a jumper between the two liquid out ports would work, filling the other keg from the bottom up.  I'd run at low pressure so you don't lose too much CO2, or wait until it's in the second keg to carbonate.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:40 am »
Jumper from beer-out to beer-out is the way to go.  Be sure to purge the receiving keg with CO2 first.

I just bleed the receiving keg from the pressure relief valve; however, if you're transferring already carbonated beer, you could get some foaming unless you do it slowly.  Kai has a better solution for siphoning under pressure here: http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/08/13/five-things-that-made-brewing-easier-for-me/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
how to transfer between kegs
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:52 am »
Jumper from beer-out to beer-out is the way to go.  Be sure to purge the receiving keg with CO2 first.

I just bleed the receiving keg from the pressure relief valve; however, if you're transferring already carbonated beer, you could get some foaming unless you do it slowly.  Kai has a better solution for siphoning under pressure here: http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/08/13/five-things-that-made-brewing-easier-for-me/

+1

Keep the pressure on both keps approximately the same before you start. Hook up your jumper from out post to out post then open PRV on receiving keg and away it flows. Apply pressure (5-10psi) to donor keg to keep the beer flowing.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:15 am »

Someone talked about that on the HBD years back. The CO2 on splitter is a good touch to get things started.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!