General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Pitching Rate for Pliny the Elder Clone

<< < (2/2)

erockrph:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on March 13, 2013, 07:48:11 AM ---let it cool to blood temp (under 100*f) and pitch two vials of yeast into it. shake again. and then leave it somewhere where you can swirl it whenever you notice it.

--- End quote ---

Might want to at least loosen the lid after you shake it, else you may see explosive results...

Jeff M:
Not to hijack the thread but after he makes the starter whats the complete process?  Ive only ever pitched the entire starter, wort and all, but i am assuming there is a better way.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: erockrph on March 13, 2013, 11:00:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on March 13, 2013, 07:48:11 AM ---let it cool to blood temp (under 100*f) and pitch two vials of yeast into it. shake again. and then leave it somewhere where you can swirl it whenever you notice it.

--- End quote ---

Might want to at least loosen the lid after you shake it, else you may see explosive results...

--- End quote ---

good catch. although with mason jars they are designed to keep a vacuum inside. they aren't actually very good at holding positive pressure in. excess pressue slowly slips past the seal. still not a good idea to seal them with active yeast and yeast food inside.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 14, 2013, 09:33:34 AM ---Not to hijack the thread but after he makes the starter whats the complete process?  Ive only ever pitched the entire starter, wort and all, but i am assuming there is a better way.

--- End quote ---

This is fine for a relatively small starter compared to the size of the whole batch. For things like lagers that need a large starter, the general approach is usually to crash cool the starter in the fridge after it's done, then decant off the spent wort and only pitch the yeast slurry on the bottom.

donsmitty:
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.  I'm learning....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version