Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Category Help for Deschutes Chainbreaker Clone  (Read 3973 times)

Offline bphad

• 1st Kit
BJCP Category Help for Deschutes Chainbreaker Clone
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:13:02 am »
I brewed up a clone of Deschutes Chainbreaker and want to put it in a local BJCP comp.

Was debating between 23A. Specialty Beer or 16E. Belgian Specialty Ale.

Any advice from experienced BJCP folks is appreciated.

I also know what you put in the "Special Ingredient/Classic Style" section is important
Here is what I have so far

"White IPA Attempt at creating a beer similar in style to Descheutes Chainbreaker.
White beer hopped to 56 IBU with Cascade and Centennial."

Thanks!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BJCP Category Help for Deschutes Chainbreaker Clone
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:42 am »
What you've got there is a 16E.

I would probably put something along the lines of "56-IBU, Cascade/Centennial dry-hopped witbier similar to Deschutes Chainbreaker."
I'm Deschutes' biggest fan but haven't had that one.  I'm assuming the standard coriander/orange peel are used?  If so I think the use of the style name is sufficient to get the ingredients across, but if not I'd plan to mention them.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
As a judge and a competition coordinator I'd definitely suggest 16E.  I'd suggest the following for the comments submission - "Belgian White styled IPA dry hopped with Cascade and Centennial." 

Suggestion for any competition - Keep the special comments short and to the point.  Anything more that short and to the point and the competition may need to abbreviate them to accommodate pull sheets or pre-printed labels for the score sheets.  Also competitions get a lot of special comments that border on short history lessons rather than info about the beer.  If you keep the comments short and to the point the judges don't need to summarize and form their own conclusions.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline bphad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:37 pm »
Thanks to both of you - 16E  it is!
Brewing....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:51 pm »
As a judge and a competition coordinator I'd definitely suggest 16E.  I'd suggest the following for the comments submission - "Belgian White styled IPA dry hopped with Cascade and Centennial." 

Suggestion for any competition - Keep the special comments short and to the point.  Anything more that short and to the point and the competition may need to abbreviate them to accommodate pull sheets or pre-printed labels for the score sheets.  Also competitions get a lot of special comments that border on short history lessons rather than info about the beer.  If you keep the comments short and to the point the judges don't need to summarize and form their own conclusions.

Totally agreed.  Don't assume the judges know what "Chainbreaker" is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »

Totally agreed.  Don't assume the judges know what "Chainbreaker" is.

Agreed, but if you added spices/fruit and can detect them in the beer, don't forget them in your description.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bphad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 01:58:06 pm »

[/quote]
Agreed, but if you added spices/fruit and can detect them in the beer, don't forget them in your description.
[/quote]

Is it safe to assume saying it is a "Belgian White" means it has Orange Peel and Coriander?
Brewing....

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »
Im of the school that assuming is never safe.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »
Is it safe to assume saying it is a "Belgian White" means it has Orange Peel and Coriander?
Since the BJCP style is "Witbier", then no, it is not safe to assume the judges think "Belgian White" means it is spiced.  If you call it a dryhopped witbier (16A) then they will know it is there, but that doesn't cover it if you are going for a wheat IPA with spices.  IPA and witbier have completely different ABV ranges, expected yeast character, etc.  It really depends on how it came out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bphad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »
Just as a quick follow-up.
Put it in as Belgian Specialty with description that it was hopped as an IPA

Scored a 31 with comments that said "this seems like a really good  WIT beer that is over-hopped"
My thought, "Yes - that is why it is in Belgian Specialty."

On a side note, I have re-brewed the same recipe as a straight WIT and I will see how that one fairs.

Thanks for all your previous input.

Brewing....