Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keg lube  (Read 5305 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
keg lube
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:47 am »
I am currently lagering a Baltic Porter.  I hooked CO2 to it while it was in the fridge just to do two things at one time.  I went out to the garage last night to enjoy a cigar and checked on it - no pressure.  I had a leak.  I had done a leak test using star-san spray on the posts and center opening.  But not a thorough test after connecting the tank.  And now with no CO2 to pressurize the system I may not know what the problem was, but in thinking about it, I came to wonder about the application of keg lube.

How often should I lubricate the rubber O rings?  I have never done it, but I only have one or two brews on each of my 3 corny kegs.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: keg lube
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:00 am »
Did you check that the lid was seated properly? Mine can get slightly off kilter and leak.  I lubricate all the o-rings at once when I take the posts off to fully clean the keg.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:31 am »
Did you check that the lid was seated properly? Mine can get slightly off kilter and leak.  I lubricate all the o-rings at once when I take the posts off to fully clean the keg.
+1
I lube up the o-rings about every 2-3 cleanings.  You'll develop a feel for how the o-rings, well feel when they need a fresh coat.  I use the lid ring as my guide. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:42 am »
I lubricate all the o-rings at once when I take the posts off to fully clean the keg.

+1

I try to lube them every cycle.
Ron Price

Offline whitemancanhop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »
I have also found it beneficial to seat the seals by giving it an initial burst of high pressure. 
-Tyson
I can explain it to you, but, I can't understand it for you.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19:59 pm »
I'm assuming you have a system where everything is hooked up all the time? Regardless, to answer your question- I favor olive oil and a conservative application to pretty much the entire post including the poppit on the "in" side after cleaning. For the large lid-ring freshly wet with starsan and a max blast to seat the lid always takes care of that problem.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »
I try to use keg lube as little as possible, because I can't stand it when it gets on my hands.  Very hard to get off.

Glad I have it on hand, though, as today I needed some plumbing grease and did not have any.  I threw some keg lube on the gaskets and I was able to reassemble an old faucet and now it works like new.  Gotta love that keg lube.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »
I use just the tiniest of a smidge between two fingers, then run the big 0-ring round and round between those fingers to barely moisten the o-ring while distributing the lube equally.  Of course for the gas and liquid posts it's a fractionally relevant (smaller amount of lube) application.  Then I sanitize the o-rings via immersion in Star San prior to assembling the keg.  I break down, clean, sanitize and lube my kegs after each use.             

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »
I try to use keg lube as little as possible, because I can't stand it when it gets on my hands.  Very hard to get off.

I too hate the stuff on my hands. I put on a set of disposable gloves and apply after cleaning every time I wash out between brews.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.