General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

US-05 - pretty amazing stuff

<< < (4/4)

a10t2:

--- Quote from: majorvices on March 14, 2013, 01:02:42 PM ---sean, i need to know how you built a glycol warmer? I have separate ports that I built into my system that I can plumb with warm water to raise temps, but I have never heard of a glycol warmer before. Apprise me on this....
--- End quote ---

It was just a spare glycol unit we had lying around (missing its compressor) with a 1500 W water heater element in the reservoir and controller/relay set for ~30°C. Each of the tanks had a single-stage controller and a pair of solenoid valves, one NO, one NC. So either warm or cold glycol was always flowing through the jackets (I did put a manual valve on each to save energy when they were empty). It was the only way I could think of to do it with a single jacket on the tanks, and it was far from an ideal solution. Turns out there are some things that will actually metabolize propylene glycol; I guess sub-freezing temperatures will kill them off in a normal chiller setup.

If I had two jacket zones like you do, I'd use water for the warm side.

bluesman:
The energizer yeast...for sure. That's pretty much lager temp Keith. Doesn't surprise me too much. I've fermented that yeast in my cellar at 58F before...no problem. It's a good yeast to keep on hand for emergencies too...as I used it a few weeks ago to get a stalled RIS going again along with se sucrose. It'll tolerate 11% ABV with no problem.

Superyeast !!!

kraftwerk:
This has been my go to clean ale yeast for a while now. Usually quick-fermenting and decent flocculation. Just pitched 2 packs in my double IPA a few days ago and the airlock is chugging away. Looking forward to that one. It also makes a nice American wheat ale. Just like a Hefe without the banana/clove character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version