Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Corned beef and cabbage

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Professor:
My go-to for St Pats is usually the more traditionally Irish pork & cabbage, but I do my corned beef the same way...in the traditional NY Jewish deli method   ???:    a long (2+hour) steambath on a rack in a covered pot.  The meat never touches the water, and comes out melt-in-the-mouth tender without falling apart when you slice it.

When I do a corned beef, I also opt for a 'point cut' rather than a 'flat cut'.  To me, they seem more flavorful.

euge:
I favor the point as well. I did a pastrami sous vide at 140F for 24 hours which came out excellent. The only difference from corned beef was that I smoked it for a couple hours first. With this approach the water never touches the meat as it is completely sealed in a vacuum bag. I used Ruhlman's bacon cure recipe without the spices- I added them after the curing process of 5 days.

tschmidlin:
I'm doing a 10-day dry cure of one brisket that is destined for the slow cooker.  My cure recipe is based on the one in Tony Hill's spice book, but adapted for dry curing.

Another brisket will just get salt and pepper and smoke. :)

The kids turn 8 on Sunday, we'll be spending a couple of hours Saturday at Chuck E Cheese, followed by the neighbors coming over for brisket, cabbage, and potatoes at our house.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on March 14, 2013, 11:48:44 PM ---The kids turn 8 on Sunday, we'll be spending a couple of hours Saturday at Chuck E Cheese,
--- End quote ---

Yikes!  Prayers coming your way

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: hokerer on March 15, 2013, 06:27:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on March 14, 2013, 11:48:44 PM ---The kids turn 8 on Sunday, we'll be spending a couple of hours Saturday at Chuck E Cheese,
--- End quote ---

Yikes!  Prayers coming your way

--- End quote ---
I tried really really hard to convince them to choose a different place.  I'll get through it though :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version