Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego Super Yeast  (Read 12067 times)

cornershot

Re: San Diego Super Yeast
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 06:17:23 am »
I used a starter of 2 vials of wlp 060 San Diego Super Yeast, o2 injected, half gallon size starter, on a stir plate for 4 days. It is an 11 gal batch size at a controlled temperature of 66 degrees.

My OG was 1.074 and after 20 days it's now only 1.026.

According to the pitch rate calculator,  you needed 561 billion cells and even if your vials were 1 day old, you only pitched 444 billion cells. You under pitched, my friend, and you can't get away with that with 090!  How old were your vials?

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 09:02:56 am »
Mr. Malty says 2 vials with a 3.75 qt starter would do the job.  I used 2 vials in a 2.2 qt starter.

You might be right about slightly under pitching initially and I did add a 3rd vial in a quart starter on day 14 to try to save it. I'm still more bitter than the beer.
The liver is evil and must be punished

cornershot

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:35 am »
I understand your frustration. That's a lot of underattenuated beer to drink! But I hate to see a great yeast get a bad reputation just because it's different and misunderstood.  :(  I understand if you don't want Diego on your team but he's a good kid so let's stop the name-calling!  :)  seriously,  i'd consider pitching brett. A farmhouse IPA is better than an underattenuated IPA!

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 07:22:05 pm »
 I see that it's my fault now, thanks for your advise. I did learn a valuable lesson.  I just want to blame anyone else but myself.  The beer is still very flavorful, just don't spill any on your hand because your fingers will stick together.

I've never used brett. What can I expect it to taste like? And how many points will it lower?  I'll go down to BevMo and buy one. Will it ever get out of my fermentor?

cornershot

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:28 am »
At least you still have your sense of humor! 
Unless your fermentor is made of wood, your normal cleaning/ sanitation regimen will get it out. It's just "wild" yeast.
Whether or not you will like Brett is up to your own taste. I find some strains tart and pleasant and others downright offensive! But all are funky in their own way. I am by no means an expert. The best advice is to buy some commercial examples and do some "research".
As far as how many points can you expect to drop- I'm not sure anyone  can answer that.  I used the wrong strain in a 1.110 barleywine and it stopped at 1.050. Well, my lhbs gives me almost-expired vials by the dozen and I happened to have American farmhouse ale yeast, which contains a brett strain. I stepped up a starter and hoped for the best. It dropped 8 points in 3 days(ale yeast?) and then slowed to about a point a day to 1.025. Respectable for a big barleywine, and luckily, I like the strain. It has slowed considerably and I haven't checked in awhile. But it probably didn't drop much more since it was close to it's stated alcohol tolerance. I also have a gallon of og1.055, fg 1.014 porter that brett dropped to 1.005.
So do some research. Figure out if you like brett or if it's just time to fold 'em. And realize that if you do go for it, it may tie up your fermentor for awhile- maybe a couple months. And it might dry it out quite a bit. And don't fear the funk!

Offline Roger Burns

• 1st Kit
  • Just call me Jack.... of all trades
    • Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:07 am »
Maybe the yeast was mishandled during delivery?  There's no real way to know, but could account for a massive die off, leaving you with too little, even with the starter.  This is unlikely to be the cause of your trouble since you added other yeast to finish off the beer and it never dropped points.  Have you calibrated your thermometers recently?  I had this happen.  Thought I was mashing at 151, but really was 155...  Made a big difference.

I had no idea that SD Super Yeast was finicky.  I have been using (abusing?) it for some time and it always seems to do the job quickly, and in several different beers.  In fact, it's my go-to yeast in the house now.  My basement sits at 65-68 year round.  Colder on the floor.

I have had great experience with this yeast from 4-10% beers.  It has been highly attenuative, and floccs out quickly. 

BTW, my brew buddy has a much colder basement and had trouble with 090 recently.  It was resolved by bringing it upstairs, rousting the yeast, and it finished in another day.

Roger Burns
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
American Homebrewers Association: 155297
[3.9, 125.7] Apparent Rennerian

cornershot

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 11:43:07 am »

I had no idea that SD Super Yeast was finicky.  I have been using (abusing?) it for some time and it always seems to do the job quickly, and in several different beers.  In fact, it's my go-to yeast in the house now.  My basement sits at 65-68 year round.  Colder on the floor.

Oh it's finicky. Maybe it just likes you better! :)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:53 pm »
I just bought White and Zainasheff's book on Yeast. I'm going to figure this out.

cornershot

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:26 pm »
That's the spirit!

cornershot

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »
Here's an update on my latest experience with san diego: brewed an imperial stout on sunday. OG 1.090 (no pun intended) It appears to have reached a final gravity of 1.023 in 4 days.  Mashed at 154f, fermented at 69f. Oxygenated at pitch and at 12 hours after pitch. Dosed with yeast nutrient shortly after full krausen at 1.045.
Also brewed a small stout from 2nd runnings. OG 1.040, FG 1.011