Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Removing keg lube?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Removing keg lube?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:29 am »
Mostly I don’t worry either.  But I have one fussy keg with a slight dent in its lip.  Sometimes it takes a liberal application of lube, a little magic, and more than a few swear words to get the lid to seal.  Afterwards it’s a bugger to clean.
Have you seen the softer o-rings that some places carry?  It helps to make up for the imperfections in the lid.  I haven't used them, but I've heard good things.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OVERSIZE-KEG-LID-SEALING-O-RING-P58.aspx
Tom Schmidlin

Offline fugglupagus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:29 am »
Mostly I don’t worry either.  But I have one fussy keg with a slight dent in its lip.  Sometimes it takes a liberal application of lube, a little magic, and more than a few swear words to get the lid to seal.  Afterwards it’s a bugger to clean.
Have you seen the softer o-rings that some places carry?  It helps to make up for the imperfections in the lid.  I haven't used them, but I've heard good things.

No, those are new to me.  Seems like they should work like a charm.  I’ll give one a try.  Thanks.

FWIW, Amazon has the Haynes CIP low melting point lube mentioned above.  In related news, people who have purchased that item from Amazon have also purchased magnetic stir bars and drip trays.  Go figure.
Keezer:  It's a big box that dispenses beer. No matter how well or sh$%&y it's built, it will be beautiful.

Offline fugglupagus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »

Turned out I already had one in the baggie of miscellaneous-spare-keg-things-I-might-need-someday.  Works great.  Thanks again.
Keezer:  It's a big box that dispenses beer. No matter how well or sh$%&y it's built, it will be beautiful.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
My parents just threw a party and someone brought a 5 gal Sanke keg of Lefthand Sawtooth. (Had I known it was going to be one of those parties, I would have brought a keg of my own!) Anyway, the stupid hand pump rented from the liquor store decided to stop working so I took it apart unfolded the wound up o-ring on the plunger and lubed it up with some olive oil! The thing worked like a charm and for the rest of the night I was the genius who made the beer work.

So the moral of the story is: olive oil works in a pinch. Not sure what it would do to the inside seals of a keg, or beer flavor.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!