Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Staying positive...  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Staying positive...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »
I actually know someone who got COVID-19, so I know it is definitely real and also definitely nasty. She is one of the so-called "mild" cases which don't require hospitalization but she has still been laid out for over 2 weeks with fever, bad headaches, severe fatigue, etc. Looking at the title of the original post, her husband is trying to stay negative! :)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:41 pm »
Even the type of movies and TV I watch has changed.  I tried watching both a mission Impossible and an Avengers movies yesterday.  Couldn't do either one.  I can't take violence a d people being cruel to each other ay the moment.  I'm rewatching Great British Baking Snow and Monty Don gardening shows, where people are kind and gentle.
Last Saturday movie night for us was a Pink Panther movie. During the week we are now going through our collection of Last of the summer wine: lots of good natured fun and at least 2-3 pub visits every episode.

Last of the summer wine!  Totally forgotten about that one.
You can tell the pub scenes are authentic by the miniscule head on the pints of beer which is a northern England thing and the show takes place in northern England.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
I actually know someone who got COVID-19, so I know it is definitely real and also definitely nasty. She is one of the so-called "mild" cases which don't require hospitalization but she has still been laid out for over 2 weeks with fever, bad headaches, severe fatigue, etc. Looking at the title of the original post, her husband is trying to stay negative! :)

Hoping she recovers in record time.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 02:53:52 pm »
I sincerely enjoyed reading all the above perspectives.  I do not, and will not, ever have a FB page; I believe FB is the devils website.  People get very ignorant on that site and there's nowhere to hide other than to "de friend them".

Regarding the Flat-Earth folks, I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion however demented it may be.  Much of the conspiracy theories we hear about come from that "Info-Wars" website run by that guy...Alex something.  But I have a niece who is a nurse in Madison, WI,  and I assure you, this pandemic is NO hoax.

Regarding politics, I have had to bite my fingers many times on many subjects I wanted to respond to within this forum.  Recently Denny rightfully slapped my hand for stepping out of line.  (Sorry Denny) But regarding the OP and their desire to distance them self from any and all negativity, I admire you for that.  Its a wonderful and noble approach to life, especially in these very difficult times.  Good luck!

Thanks for that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 03:23:07 pm »
But regarding the OP and their desire to distance them self from any and all negativity, I admire you for that.  Its a wonderful and noble approach to life, especially in these very difficult times.  Good luck!
To the extent that it's within my control.  You know how it goes... there is stress from some direction (like your water heater is leaking) and then there is stress from work and maybe you have elderly parents or some other issue is tugging at you... you can't control much of that.  But in those times the last thing I need is to have my phone give me a notification that some dillweed just posted on FB that the virus is a hoax or whatever political nonsense they're spouting.  At some point I realized that there are controls in place for this... unfriend, ignore, unsubscribe, delete, etc.  I'm cleaning house, baby!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:36:34 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bklmt2000

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 09:45:52 pm »
Staying positive this past month hasn't been easy.  Between the corona outbreak, saying goodbye to our 18-yr old cat (vet indicated it was cancer; not unusual given her age), work stresses, a couple of nagging health issues (now thankfully resolved), and my wife and now our son working from home due to the pandemic, March has been challenging to say the least.

I've been a WFH type for years now, but I was usually alone during the day (wife and son worked out of the house), but it's been nice having other people around during the day.  Took a lot of doing for my wife's employer to agree to let her WFH, and my son just got approved for WFH late last week.  We worried the most about him, as he's immune-suppressed (transplant recipient), and if he were to get the corona virus, it could be catastrophic for him.  Having them both home has been a big relief.

Going forward, I've found that doing beer-related stuff, whether brewing a batch (which I hope to do next week), kegging a batch (got 2 kegged today), has been a lifesaver for my mental health and sanity.  Took the last week off from drinking (finishing up a regimen of antibiotics), and I managed to drop several pounds along the way (not sad my clothes are looser).  Trying to make more time for stuff I need to get back to: grilling, catching up on reading (beats watching the news), gaming (PC; got the Bioshock series on an 80% off Steam sale a couple of weeks back), working in the garden/yard (that weed-n-feed won't broadcast itself), and hopefully some baking (need some snacks while Netflixing).

Today is probably the first day in weeks that I feel like a storm hasn't necessarily passed yet, but a path through is becoming clearer.  Makes life a bit easier to deal with.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 02:21:37 am »
Last of the summer wine!  Totally forgotten about that one.
You can tell the pub scenes are authentic by the miniscule head on the pints of beer which is a northern England thing and the show takes place in northern England.

Northern England has the biggest heads in the UK thanks to the use of sparklers. You won't get as much head as a wheat beer at 3.5vol but something like this is possible in Leeds, although most people would be wanting a top-up if served that, something like these is more normal :

In both cases there's more to come, you can see the condition rising from the bottom of the glass.

Careful readers will notice that these are all from Summer Wine brewery, based in the next village along from Holmfirth where the series was filmed, who closed down at the beginning of this year.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 08:28:31 am »
Staying positive this past month hasn't been easy.  Between the corona outbreak, saying goodbye to our 18-yr old cat (vet indicated it was cancer; not unusual given her age), work stresses, a couple of nagging health issues (now thankfully resolved), and my wife and now our son working from home due to the pandemic, March has been challenging to say the least.

I've been a WFH type for years now, but I was usually alone during the day (wife and son worked out of the house), but it's been nice having other people around during the day.  Took a lot of doing for my wife's employer to agree to let her WFH, and my son just got approved for WFH late last week.  We worried the most about him, as he's immune-suppressed (transplant recipient), and if he were to get the corona virus, it could be catastrophic for him.  Having them both home has been a big relief.

Going forward, I've found that doing beer-related stuff, whether brewing a batch (which I hope to do next week), kegging a batch (got 2 kegged today), has been a lifesaver for my mental health and sanity.  Took the last week off from drinking (finishing up a regimen of antibiotics), and I managed to drop several pounds along the way (not sad my clothes are looser).  Trying to make more time for stuff I need to get back to: grilling, catching up on reading (beats watching the news), gaming (PC; got the Bioshock series on an 80% off Steam sale a couple of weeks back), working in the garden/yard (that weed-n-feed won't broadcast itself), and hopefully some baking (need some snacks while Netflixing).

Today is probably the first day in weeks that I feel like a storm hasn't necessarily passed yet, but a path through is becoming clearer.  Makes life a bit easier to deal with.
Good to see you over here, my friend.  Umm, didn't you forget "making wings" as a way to keep your sanity?  :D  I do plan to make a starter this week (940) and brew this coming weekend.  Also, your weather must be better than ours because I can't do much outside... it's been cold, gray, rainy, windy, etc. here for a week.  No sun to speak of which makes the isolation worse.  I would absolutely work in the yard, etc. but it's not there yet.  Also... same here:  wife and youngest son (sophomore at Colorado, Boulder) are both home which is very strange because (like you) I typically work at home with no noise or other distractions.  Hang in there and sorry to hear about the cat... pets are family. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline EchoValley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:08 am »
  Even the type of movies and TV I watch has changed.  I tried watching both a mission Impossible and an Avengers movies yesterday.  Couldn't do either one.  I can't take violence and people being cruel to each other at the moment. 
Same here with TV & Movies, we've been all comedies.  Dipped into the sorta way back machine and watching a few episodes of Cheers in the evening.  There was some good comedy writing and zingers in that show.

Offline Bklmt2000

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 09:26:50 am »
Good to see you over here, my friend.  Umm, didn't you forget "making wings" as a way to keep your sanity?  :D  I do plan to make a starter this week (940) and brew this coming weekend.  Also, your weather must be better than ours because I can't do much outside... it's been cold, gray, rainy, windy, etc. here for a week.  No sun to speak of which makes the isolation worse.  I would absolutely work in the yard, etc. but it's not there yet.  Also... same here:  wife and youngest son (sophomore at Colorado, Boulder) are both home which is very strange because (like you) I typically work at home with no noise or other distractions.  Hang in there and sorry to hear about the cat... pets are family.
[/quote]

Likewise, mang.  I'm grilling some BSCB (right now) as a warmup for wing making, either this week or next.  With my son being home these days for lunch, I'm forced to relearn how to share, especially when it comes to wings.  First world problems.   ;D  Weather is like yours, minus the rain.  Hoping to get some yardwork done this week, along with the million other things my wife wants to accomplish.  One thing that's helped us a lot is being able to order groceries from Kroger and pick them up (we have a store within walking distance), and today, we managed to get an Amazon Fresh delivery, and they (Amazon) actually had everything we'd ordered (you wouldn't think romaine lettuce would be that hard to get, but we've struck out the last 2 weeks).  Also scored some wings (to supplement the wings I got at Kroger the other day), so wing pron will be posted soon.

I'm hoping to get a therapeutic/mental health brewday in next week; looking at some kind of American lager/pilsner, for when the weather (eventually) warms up.  Got a fresh slurry of 34/70, from the batch I kegged yesterday, or perhaps some S-189 needs to make an appearance?

Stay safe and sane, mi amigo.