Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA - Flavor & Aroma Loss - Suggestions?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
IPA - Flavor & Aroma Loss - Suggestions?
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
Hello All,

So I bottled an IPA almost two weeks ago.  Upon tasting it prior to bottling, the aroma and hop flavor was absolutely fantastic.

I tasted one about 5 days after bottling and the aroma and flavor was still there but obviously still under-carbed. 

I tasted one yesterday (bottled 12 day ago) and the flavor and aroma just were not there.  I am hoping its just an off bottle but would hate to see my great IPA go wrong. 

Any suggestions?  Just let it sit for a little bit longer? Anything I can do at this point?

I was thinking the carbing would help this IPA and bring forward the aroma and flavor but it kind of tastes a little bleh. 

I know, RAHAHB. ha.

Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: IPA - Flavor & Aroma Loss - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:28 am »
Try serving the beer warmer.  I'm assuming that when the beer was "absolutely fantastic" it was warm and the last time you tasted it, it was cold.  I find that my IPAs are kinda lifeless when served at regular refrigeration temperatures, but bloom around 45-50 F. 

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
True.  Great suggestion.  That just may be it. 

Thanks.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »
Try serving the beer warmer.  I'm assuming that when the beer was "absolutely fantastic" it was warm and the last time you tasted it, it was cold.  I find that my IPAs are kinda lifeless when served at regular refrigeration temperatures, but bloom around 45-50 F.

+1

When I really want to "experience" a beer I will generally pull it out of the fridge for a half hour or so before I pour it. It makes a big difference, especially for hoppy beers as well as beers with a lot of yeast-driven aromatics.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer