General Category > Ask the Experts

Ask the Experts: Denny Conn

<< < (2/2)

duncan:
Question:
After all the sterilization of everything that comes in contact with the brew, why are the dry hops (pellets) added straight from the package? Are they supposed to be sterile? Should they be boiled first? Thanks for any insight on this.

Denny:
There are several reasons. Hops have long been cited to have antibacterial properties, which helps protect the beer. In fact, it’s been said that hops were originally added to beer to help prevent spoilage. In addition, by the time you add dry hops to a beer it’s fermented. At that point, the alcohol content and low pH help protect the beer even further.

duncan:
Question:
I live in an apartment that is always above 70 degrees so I can not ferment properly. Are there any ways that I can properly ferment and keep a cooler temperature? Thanks

Denny:
There are a couple ways. The preferred method is to use a refrigerator or chest freezer with a temperature control to maintain fermentation temperature. The “Cheap’n’Easy” method, which I use, utilizes a tub or cooler full water that you set your fermenter in. You can add ice packs to cool things down, or put an aquarium heater in the water to warm it up if necessary. The mass of the water helps buffer thermal swings pretty effectively. It does take a bit more effort than a fridge or freezer, but it’s considerably less expensive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version