Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the strangest ingredient you've ever used?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: What's the strangest ingredient you've ever used?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »
One that jumps out at me is sumac

My wife is doing some test batches for a local one-man brewery (Blank Slate, Cincinnati, OH, http://www.blankslatebeer.com/index.shtml), and sumac is one of the things they're about to test. They're going to start by making some teas and blending them into a Belgian Blond to see what they get.

I'd love to know how that turns out. My probrewer buddy was thinking a sumac / saffron / hibiscus farmhouse.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
What's the strangest ingredient you've ever used?
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
i tried saffron and did not care for the results. have been toying around w.hibiscus.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »
I used saffron in the BYO Midas Touch clone and I think it is a nice beer - one of the favored taps when folks come over to visit, although it's taking awhile to kill the keg.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 04:28:04 pm »
I used saffron in the BYO Midas Touch clone and I think it is a nice beer - one of the favored taps when folks come over to visit, although it's taking awhile to kill the keg.

LOL! I didn't care much for Midas Touch so there you go!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 04:55:39 pm »

LOL! I didn't care much for Midas Touch so there you go!

I bought it once - $14.00 for a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles.  I wonder if the subliminal sales pitch is that if it was the drink of choice of a king for which everything he touched turned to gold, it must be more precious than gold. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »
When I was a kid living in central Kentucky, maybe 1965 or so, I pulled up a huge sassafras root by the side of the road.  A couple years ago, almost 50 years later, I put some of this, which is pretty much petrified at his point, into a club project beer.  It is cool that the aroma still comes through.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »
When I was a kid living in central Kentucky, maybe 1965 or so, I pulled up a huge sassafras root by the side of the road.  A couple years ago, almost 50 years later, I put some of this, which is pretty much petrified at his point, into a club project beer.  It is cool that the aroma still comes through.

You might not want to drink that.  Google "toxicity of sassafras"

http://www.drugs.com/npp/sassafras.html

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 07:08:07 pm »

Of course it's too late now, but I knew of the counter-indications.  There was no vomiting, stupor, lowering of body temperature, exhaustion, tachycardia, spasm, hallucinations, paralysis and collapse.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:04 am »

Of course it's too late now, but I knew of the counter-indications.  There was no vomiting, stupor, lowering of body temperature, exhaustion, tachycardia, spasm, hallucinations, paralysis and collapse.

Awe shucks! ;)

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 06:05:31 am »
Dollarweed in a blonde ale (named One Dollar Whore). If you live in the southeast, you know what I mean. Added at flameout, which was a mistake. The beer tasted like cooked asparagus. I would like to try it again "dry" in the secondary as I can't help thinking the spicy aroma when I try to pull the stuff out of the landscaping would work well in a beer if done right. And in case anybody is wondering, it IS edible.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 08:39:38 am »
I added a pill of an amino acid to some sugar I was caramelizing to test a hypothesis. It made sugar water taste like beef. That's probably the weirdest thing I've ever done.

Mesquite pods are probably the next strangest ingredient I've used.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 09:01:31 am »
It is always fun to watch Peeps melt into the boil. Just a fun way to add sugar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:22 am »
One that jumps out at me is sumac

My wife is doing some test batches for a local one-man brewery (Blank Slate, Cincinnati, OH, http://www.blankslatebeer.com/index.shtml), and sumac is one of the things they're about to test. They're going to start by making some teas and blending them into a Belgian Blond to see what they get.

sumac is also sometimes called lemonade berry, or at least some varieties are. If you get a big bunch of the fresh berries that havn't been rained on and soak them in cold water then strain the water off and drink. tastes like lemonade... sorta. maybe dryberrying?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 10:24:45 am »
I used epazote and mahlapi in a beer recipe that I took from "Extreme Brewing".  Turkey Drool was the name of the beer IIRC.  The epazote came through very heavily, but the mahlapi (crushed cherry pits) didn't have a very big impact from what I could tell. 

I won't be making that one again, it was not a very sessionable beer.  My friends all seemed to enjoy it, but the epazote was not to my liking.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:43 pm »
Besides Fantome yeast?  :o

Sweet Woodruff. I had no idea how much to add but it came dried in a 1 lb bag so I added it all at flame-out to a brown ale. I also remember the label said "Not to be consumed by humans". The beer was awful. More than that the bottles started breaking at the neck when I tried to open them. That got me worried so I threw out mist of the batch.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout