Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My "missionary" work!  (Read 3568 times)

Offline jmmcfarland

• Cellarman
My "missionary" work!
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »
Since brewing my first home brew (a little over 14 months ago) I have converted many of my friends and family into home brewers. I even have my mom and stepfather doing it now. I am always happy to hear of someone enjoying my beer or mead and being encouraged to try it on their own. I am also the "go to guy" for questions and concerns about the brewing process. I also have the awesome job of trying the brews of everyone whom I have converted. It's a rough life. Does anyone have similar stories they wish to share?

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: My "missionary" work!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »
I've been brewing for almost three years now. I have gathered a "following" of other wannabe's who are intrigued by what I can brew. Every brew day at my house gets a little crowded. I have brought 3 guys into my club, and I am involved in a "brew buddy" system through my club, where I can mentor other new brewers and help them to develop their own system and style of brewing. None of my family have started brewing, but they sure love to taste each batch and eagerly await the next...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline jmmcfarland

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »
I like your style! I too have a following of beer tasters but for the most part the bug gets them and they are soon on their own brewing and experimenting. I especially enjoy how creative some of my converts have become.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »
Every brew day at my house gets a little crowded.

That would drive me nuts.  I've brewed with club members before and I'll do so again.  And any of my friends that would want to get into it I'd be happy to show them the ropes.  But most of the time I treasure my time alone in the garage with my mash tun and kettle.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »

That would drive me nuts.  I've brewed with club members before and I'll do so again.  And any of my friends that would want to get into it I'd be happy to show them the ropes.  But most of the time I treasure my time alone in the garage with my mash tun and kettle.

My thoughts exactly.  I have brewed a lot of beers for demos and club events and get weary of answering questions while trying to keep track of the schedule.  It is much more relaxing to have the brew day to myself.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12:14 pm »
That's awesome! So far I haven't been able to convince anyone to take up the hobby. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »

My thoughts exactly.  I have brewed a lot of beers for demos and club events and get weary of answering questions while trying to keep track of the schedule.  It is much more relaxing to have the brew day to myself.
I guess I shouldn't say every day, I do get my brew days alone. But I do enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with others, and likewise, enjoy learning things from others too.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

cornershot

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote

I'm in my 20th year of brewing and enjoy company as much as brewing alone. Alone, sober, and doughing-in at 5am allows me to do my best possible work while finishing my session early enough to still have a whole Saturday or Sunday to do other stuff.
On the other hand, I love bringing a keg my LHBS to brew and teach a class of 20+ for 6 hours.  It's extremely energy-intensive and completely drains me but so worth it! It brings a lot of great people together and we're building up steam toward starting a club.
This week we're tapping 2 kegs of irish stout while brewing 10 gal of american wheat on a 3 pot system and a biab kolsch!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:06 pm »

I love sharing the excitement with someone who watches that cereal grain become sweet wort for the first time. I too love my time alone becoming one with my wort, but there's something very satisfying about
being part of birthing a new baby brewer. I have lots of brew children out there.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:42 am »
I can't get anyone to start homebrewing either. Seems that people are content with me brewing it for them. Why would they start and invest the money in something they know they can just go to me and get! Bla, lol!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:58:22 am »
I've done this to several people, I like the missionary term too. I've been referring to 'my work' as being a 'beer disciple'.  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
My "missionary" work!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:34:51 am »
Sharing the art and craft of homebrewing is an honorable duty and valued experience, one that I wouldn't  trade that for anything in the world. I enjoy teaching and exchanging ideas/knowledge with other Homebrewers.

That being said, I also enjoy the sound/isolation of a jet burner and some good music playing in the background without interruption. It's therapeutic in a sense. It also allows me to be artisanal in spirit while I can focus on the art and craft of homebrewing.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:42:12 am »
I've had a few people that want me to show them how to do it.  But, I haven't had anyone bite the bullet and purchase equipment.  I'm probably having more success converting people to "craft" styles of beer and off the BMC wagon.  Our craft scene up here is expanding rapidly but we're still behind the US in terms of craft opportunity.  Of course, I also have the usual followers who are asking me to sell them beer (which of course I would never do since that would be illegal). 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:45:34 am »
Most of the people where I live are BMC drinkers.  A few have tried my beers and like them, but for the most part if it isn't yellow fizzy water, most of my neighbors won't drink it.  The younger folks I work with on the other hand are into it mightily, and have expressed interest in learning how to brew.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »
Sharing the art and craft of homebrewing is an honorable duty and valued experience, one that I wouldn't  trade that for anything in the world. I enjoy teaching and exchanging ideas/knowledge with other Homebrewers.

That being said, I also enjoy the sound/isolation of a jet burner and some good music playing in the background without interruption. It's therapeutic in a sense. It also allows me to be artisanal in spirit while I can focus on the art and craft of homebrewing.

what about your life? your wife? your house? Or is this what they call "hyperbole"?  :P