Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Portable Bottling Trailer  (Read 7123 times)

Offline johnrk

• 1st Kit
Portable Bottling Trailer
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »
Anyone heard about a portable bottling trailer? I guess some a company offers a portable bottle facility. They basically pull up to your place, you give them the product and they will put it into cans complete with your label. Anyone heard about this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »
We used portable bottling truck for the beer I brewed at one of Rogue's facilities for NHC last year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Portable Bottling Trailer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:27 pm »
Some of the pros know about it. Yeah they exist but it might be better to do bottlez.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:04 pm »
With the explosion of canned craft beer, there has been an increase of poorly canned craft beer. If you outsource your canning, how will you make sure the QC is adequate? Some canning lines require mid-run adjustments to make sure they're seaming correctly. How much do you trust a stranger with thousands of dollars of your beer? If you have a run of bad cans, it sucks for you but doesn't matter at all for the canner.

That said, it's probably more likely that the mobile canner knows how to can better than you, so I'd say outsource before you buy your own canning line. But I'd say bottle before doing any of that.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »
Canning line is a huge investment.
There is more to it then just buying the equipment.
The same goes for bottling and labeling line.
Ask me how I know.

There are mobile canners/bottelers.
You are still responsible for your own shrink wraps and you pay them per case packaged.
You will still be involved in canning process so do not think that someone will can/bottle for you.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:07:20 am »
We have a local group who is putting together a mobile bottling unit right now. Should be available in a matter of weeksd. We are no where near label approval yet but as soon as we are they will role up and we will be producing 4 or 6 packs. I'll have more infor (and photos) then.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:22:09 am »
We have a local group who is putting together a mobile bottling unit right now. Should be available in a matter of weeksd. We are no where near label approval yet but as soon as we are they will role up and we will be producing 4 or 6 packs. I'll have more infor (and photos) then.
Bottles?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »
Yep.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »
Nice.
We have a guy with Moheen filler that is filling 22 oz.

make sure that they know what they are doing.

He was bottling in brewery close by and they wasted a lot of beer, it took much more time then anticipated and did not fill as much as they wanted.

If you have a good contractor then there is a great potential.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
I'm not doing a damn thing until I see it run at another brewery. I have no contract, don't intend to have one.

Offline johnrk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:32 am »

Looking forward to the photos. Thanks,

Offline johnrk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:49:35 am »
We used portable bottling truck for the beer I brewed at one of Rogue's facilities for NHC last year.

How was the shelf life of the final product?

Offline johnrk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:39 am »
Canning line is a huge investment.
There is more to it then just buying the equipment.
The same goes for bottling and labeling line.
Ask me how I know.

There are mobile canners/bottelers.
You are still responsible for your own shrink wraps and you pay them per case packaged.
You will still be involved in canning process so do not think that someone will can/bottle for you.

The investment in the canning line is the issue here. Did some research over the weekend and minimums are around 1000 cans/labels but none are in Michigan. So this won't work right not, will stick with the bottles.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:48:21 am »

How was the shelf life of the final product?

Drank what was the last bottle AFAIK about a month ago.  Still fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:40 am »
Outsourcing packaging seems to be on the rise right now, especially among newer crafts. I understand the appeal -- lower capital costs, getting packaged beer to off-sale retailers instead of draft-only sales (which yield a greater margin), and not hiring any direct labor for packaging.

I know there is a company in San Fran (IIRC) called the Can Van that has a mobile canning line for hire.  There's a guy here in Minnesota who has a mobile bottling line for 22 oz bombers.  We are mostly likely going with a semi-automatic canning line from Cask Systems in Canada so that we don't have to rely on outsourcing for off-sale retail packaging. It will require a greater cost up front, and more man hours, but I'd rather keep it in house and be able to package when/how I want to.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial