Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: any suggestions for a nice IPA on St Pattys Day  (Read 4186 times)

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
any suggestions for a nice IPA on St Pattys Day
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:50 am »
Anyone have any suggestions for a nice HOPPY HOPPY IPA for St Pattys Day?

Montana
Greggrey Flood

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: any suggestions for a nice IPA on St Pattys Day
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:00:25 am »
To brew or to drink?
Frank

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:05:08 am »
Hi Frank,

To drink this weekend and brew for next year.

Cheers,

Gregg
Greggrey Flood

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
any suggestions for a nice IPA on St Pattys Day
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:14 am »
GREEN Flash West Coast IPA. :-)

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:22:32 am »
Thanks AJK for the feedback.  I tell you what, since I started brewing my own IPA's the budget has been under control.  Buying those bad boys from the store were sucking me dry. LOL.  Cheers and have a good weekend.

Greggrey Flood

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:29:52 am »
GREEN Flash West Coast IPA. :-)

I was actually going to recommend this one for the same GREEN reason. You could go bigger with Green Flash Palette Wrecker if you can find it. I picked up a couple bombers of it while I was out of town this week. Yep HOPPY! Bell's Hop Slam has a green label, but I doubt you'll find it anywhere at this point. New Holland Mad Hatter and Imperial Hatter are solid choices too (both have green labels)! There are so many great choices out there! I keep trying to get my buddies to try Darkhorse Crooked Tree, but they keep passing it up. I don't know what the relationship it would have with St. Patty's Day, other than it's beer, but it too is one of my favorites.
Frank

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:55 am »
thanks for all the feedback guys.  Down here in NC its hard to find some out of this world IPA with alot of bite.  The Hops excutioner is about what we can get and of course a good batch of Ranger.

Cheers
Greggrey Flood

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:33:38 am »
I must say though, the wifey is out looking for me at the new front street brewery that just moved in.  I wish her well. LOL.
Greggrey Flood

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:14 am »
thanks for all the feedback guys.  Down here in NC its hard to find some out of this world IPA with alot of bite.  The Hops excutioner is about what we can get and of course a good batch of Ranger.

Cheers

There's nothing wrong with some Ranger!
Frank

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:46:22 am »
Ranger does indeed rock, but I find getting it in NC the taste is different in every 12 pack i get.  Hopefully when New Belgium opens up in Asheville, NC the taste will stabilize just a little bit.  Dont know if the traveling half way across the US affects the taste or not, but down here the Ranger goes up and down in the bottle for taste, but it is def....one of my favorites.  Rangers lead the way!
Greggrey Flood

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »
Just had some Palate Wrecker last week. Very good stuff. If you want really, really hoppy then 120 minute IPA is the way to go.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline montanagray

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
sounds good thank you much.

Gregg
Greggrey Flood

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »
Just had some Palate Wrecker last week. Very good stuff. If you want really, really hoppy then 120 minute IPA is the way to go.

I have never had it, and I've only seen it available once. It was at a distributer in Pennsylvania. If you know anything about PA, you can only get cases there. Which works well in many instances at this place I go to....$37 for Nugget Nectar, $52 for Hop Slam, and $52 for Breakfast stout....But I had to pass on a case of 120 minute for $150....I just couldn't do it.

So really, is it that good?

.....One of my St. Patty's days beers was a Palate Wrecker
Frank

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:12:31 pm »

I have never had it, and I've only seen it available once. It was at a distributer in Pennsylvania. If you know anything about PA, you can only get cases there. Which works well in many instances at this place I go to....$37 for Nugget Nectar, $52 for Hop Slam, and $52 for Breakfast stout....But I had to pass on a case of 120 minute for $150....I just couldn't do it.

So really, is it that good?

.....One of my St. Patty's days beers was a Palate Wrecker

Not in my mind. It's way too sweet and drowns out the hops. 90 minute is my favorite from DogFishHead. I bought a bottle last year and it's over hyped.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:57 pm »
Not in my mind. It's way too sweet and drowns out the hops. 90 minute is my favorite from DogFishHead. I bought a bottle last year and it's over hyped.

I kinda feel that way with most Dogfishhead beer....Which was another reason why I was turned away. 60 minute and 90 minute are ok and I wouldn't turn one away if somebody gave me one, but I will buy another IPA over either of them, because they are sweet. Midas Touch is very sweet as well.
Frank