Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raisins in a Dubbel  (Read 5931 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Raisins in a Dubbel
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
Following Tomme Arthur's Dubbel recipe from Stan Hieronymus' book Brew Like A Monk - anything special to watch for with adding raisins?  I added them slowly and kept stirring for a minute or so, but they seem to have sunk to the bottom and I hate to think that they will scorch on the bottom...any insight?  Meanwhile stirring, stirring, stirring!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Raisins in a Dubbel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:12:12 pm »
Just keep stirring!  I like to use raisins later in the process.  After the beer is fermented, toss some raisins in a red hot wok and caramelize them.  Deglaze with some of the beer, then toss it all in a secondary and rack the beer on top.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »
Cool. Thanks, Denny.  I'm chilling down the Dubbel right now and it looks pretty nice, but I know looks can be deceiving!  Here's hoping no scorch tastes are in there...

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:46:47 pm »
From what I've read, after Tomme caramelizes/deglazes his raisins, he purees them and adds at knockout.  I've made his dubbel recipe a couple times and last time I caramelized them in a metal pan with a little wort, deglazing with some brandy and wort before pureeing and adding at knockout.  I've heard and read conflicting views as to whether to use dark or golden raisins.  I've used both and I prefer dark raisins.  I have the ingredients on hand except for the yeast and that beer is next on deck for me.  It really improves after aging for a year if you can wait that long.

+1 to Denny's suggestion to add some more caramelized/deglazed in secondary!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:35 pm »
One more thing - I checked my notes and the first time I made this I added chopped up dark raisins 10 minutes before the end of the boil.  Although the little pieces of raisins got strained out when transferring to the fermenters, the beer still ended up really good.

Offline jmmcfarland

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 03:22:12 pm »
Just keep stirring!  I like to use raisins later in the process.  After the beer is fermented, toss some raisins in a red hot wok and caramelize them.  Deglaze with some of the beer, then toss it all in a secondary and rack the beer on top.
Damn Denny, you have me sold. Think this might be my next brew.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:48 am »

Works really well with dates and figs, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:03:57 pm »
+ 1.060

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:17 am »

My keg of dubbel is coming to an end and I have some dried figs in the fridge...

What quantity of figs would you recommend for 5 gallons?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 09:42:02 am »

I did this with a stout. it's intense for sure. I think I left it sit a little too long in secondary and picked up some tannis from the raisin skins, that and I used about 3.5 lbs of raisins in 5 gallons.

wracking to the keg a raisin lodged in the end of my racking cane so it took around 1 hours to get 5 gallons in the keg but it was crystal clear the whole time with that raisin filtering out all the gunk  :)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:59:26 am »
Love the raisin puree idea.  Think I'll try it in my next Dubbel or Quad.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

My keg of dubbel is coming to an end and I have some dried figs in the fridge...

1/2-1 lb.  Depends on how prominent you want it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:44 am »

per 5 gallons?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:03 am »

per 5 gallons?

Doh!  Yes.  Sorry, lack of sleep.....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »
I've done that Tomme Arthur recipe also, 1' of dark raisins caramelized and deglazed with port. Dump it in the kettle at knock out. Recirculate for 15 minutes. We did a club brew with this recipe and threw it in a fresh bourbon barrel. Ooh la la!
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)