Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Albion Ale  (Read 1974 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
New Albion Ale
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:28 pm »
Bought some New Albion on the way home.   The significance of it makes me think of the time when SNPA made its way to Indiana. I was in my early/mid 20s, and it changed me forever, in terms of what beer was or could be.  Not long after, my Dad bought me a couple homebrew kits as a birthday present, complete with the yeast packets taped to the lids of the two cans. And the obsession was on !
As for the beer - it's a simple recipe.  2 row, Cascade, mildly fruity ale yeast. But it's good beer. I'm a lifelong beer geek, but not so much so that I can't appreciate beer that's not a RIS or IIPA ( and I love those). I wasn't drinking in 1976 when this beer originally came out but,remembering what SNPA tasted like for the 1st time in 1991 or 2, I can imagine what this beer did to get the ball rolling. Cheers Jack!
Jon H.

Offline rblack90

• Cellarman
Re: New Albion Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:53:21 pm »
Enjoyed two of these on the golf course today. Very tasty SMASH beer. Most likely before that was even a thought.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:10 pm »
I agree its a well-made beer, and certainly if having it in 1976 when Cascade was only a dish detergent to most, I would have probably been blown away to know beer can taste like that. 

As a fellow appreciator of session beers, I do love me a well-balanced but hoppy APA.  However, I find this beer really pithy and lacking in any malt character to balance the hops.  In fact, I actually dumped about a 1/2 pint of it last night (my 2nd last of the six pack I bought to try it). 

Not meaning to take anything away from the original brewer, as this an Anchor are in a weird way responsible for this forum existing, but just not my bag (baby).
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:17 am »
I think this is a solid APA. I bought a six and enjoyed them all. I will not go out of my way to buy this beer but if I see it on tap I'm in.