Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just ordered my rhizomes  (Read 3782 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Just ordered my rhizomes
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:07:36 am »
You've all inspired me to order some rhizomes.  I ordered 4 Centennial, 4 Fuggle and 4 Magnum from Left Fields Hop Farms out in BC.  We shall have to see how things go but after reading Denny's comment about 1 plant, I'm thinking perhaps I was a bit ambitious. 

Can't wait to start harvesting my non-dry, non-stale hop cones ('cause I don't want to get caught up in the wet/fresh debate).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Just ordered my rhizomes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:43 am »
You've all inspired me to order some rhizomes.  I ordered 4 Centennial, 4 Fuggle and 4 Magnum from Left Fields Hop Farms out in BC.  We shall have to see how things go but after reading Denny's comment about 1 plant, I'm thinking perhaps I was a bit ambitious. 

Can't wait to start harvesting my non-dry, non-stale hop cones ('cause I don't want to get caught up in the wet/fresh debate).

I wish you luck, Graham.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
They're actually pretty easy to contain as long as you pay attention.  You can give them 2-3 years in the ground and then just dig the whole crown up, prune and plunk it back.  If you let them go any more than about 3 years you'll probably need like a 12 pack for the whole job.  It's all about being outside and homegrown, nothing like it!  Hop On!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
They're actually pretty easy to contain as long as you pay attention.  You can give them 2-3 years in the ground and then just dig the whole crown up, prune and plunk it back.  If you let them go any more than about 3 years you'll probably need like a 12 pack for the whole job.  It's all about being outside and homegrown, nothing like it!  Hop On!

Growing them is the easy part.  Processing and packaging is when the work starts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell