Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: suggestions for belgian yeast and use of belgian candy  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: suggestions for belgian yeast
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:03 am »
i've decided to go with wlp575 and see how i like it.

As far as the Belgian candy, i'm using 1# of it, and that has my OG target at 1.064. with wlp575, i'd expect to be able to hit around 80% attenuation and shouldn't have any issues hitting FG of 1.012 or lower., so i'm wondering if i should add the Belgian sugar at the end of the boil, or wait and add it during fermentation? never used it before, so what do you Belgian brewers typically do?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: suggestions for belgian yeast and use of belgian candy
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:33 am »
I typically add my sugars at the end of the boil.  I've added them to the fermenter when I have forgotten to add them to the boil, but not as a general practice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 11:14:33 am »
I've always added Candi Syrup at the end of the boil. I suppose if you were brewing a super high gravity brew and were worried about attenuation, then you could add it to the fermenter, but IME I've never had attenuation issues even with my biggest Belgians.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:50 am »
I've always added Candi Syrup at the end of the boil. I suppose if you were brewing a super high gravity brew and were worried about attenuation, then you could add it to the fermenter, but IME I've never had attenuation issues even with my biggest Belgians.

makes sense - I've read people doing it both ways. most comments I've read adding during fermentation, is related to attenuation or caramelizing. they add it during fermentation so the yeast attenuates well with the wort before additional workload of the sugars is added. since I'm not pushing a very big OG and my attenuation target is within range, I'd presume adding it up front wouldn't impact negatively.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
makes sense - I've read people doing it both ways. most comments I've read adding during fermentation, is related to attenuation or caramelizing. they add it during fermentation so the yeast attenuates well with the wort before additional workload of the sugars is added. since I'm not pushing a very big OG and my attenuation target is within range, I'd presume adding it up front wouldn't impact negatively.

It's not my experience that adding all the sugars in the kettle will have a negative impact on attenuation.  With a good pitch of yeast and good oxygenation I've had no trouble fermenting even my biggest tripels to the expected FG.

I know some people go for the additions in the fermenter, but for my money it's just more work.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
suggestions for belgian yeast and use of belgian candy
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »

It's not my experience that adding all the sugars in the kettle will have a negative impact on attenuation.  With a good pitch of yeast and good oxygenation I've had no trouble fermenting even my biggest tripels to the expected FG.

I know some people go for the additions in the fermenter, but for my money it's just more work.

+1.060 to all your points.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:00 pm »
+1.  I've brewed many Belgians, add all sugars to the kettle, and get great attenuation with plenty of healthy yeast and letting fermentation temps free rise after a few days.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »

+1.060 to all your points.

good enough for me..im sold! in the kettle it is.. thanks guys
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde