Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Columbus hops  (Read 4715 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Columbus hops
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »
I got an unbelievable deal on a pound of columbus hops through yakima valley hops a while back. I have never brewed with them so I don't know what they taste like. Would an IPA single hopped with these be a bad thing?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Columbus hops
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »
I got an unbelievable deal on a pound of columbus hops through yakima valley hops a while back. I have never brewed with them so I don't know what they taste like. Would an IPA single hopped with these be a bad thing?

Columbus is one of my favorite hops.  Dank, resinous, a bit citrusy.  I'd do a single hop beer with them.....except for the fact that I don't really care for most single hop beers I've tried.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Columbus hops
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »
I like single hopping to learn what a hop tastes like. I just don't want to make something undrinkable, from what you say it sounds like I am safe from that. Thankyou.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:20:04 pm »
I'm a big fan of Columbus too, but I don't know if I'd try a single hop IPA with them. I think they are great for bittering, flavor, and aroma, but I think they need a companion or two for flavoring and/or aroma. I have bittered exclusively with them, but have mixed them with Centennial and Simcoe in late additions and dry hopping with a 1:1:1 ratio to help round off their "dankness". I have also bittered with them in conjunction with nugget hops. That was a solid combination that I will probably do again. It's a pretty versatile hop, and I think you'll be safe whatever you do with it....except that I'm not sure about using them as the only hop in a beer. But if you do decide to do that, let us know how it tastes...I'm still curious  ;)
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Columbus hops
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »
I like single hopping to learn what a hop tastes like. I just don't want to make something undrinkable, from what you say it sounds like I am safe from that. Thankyou.

I agree that it's a great way to learn about a hop variety. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Columbus hops
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:30:14 pm »
I use Columbus quite a bit for my American ales. As Denny said, dank, resinous with some citrus notes. I like using them to achieve the bittering charge for APA/IPA's plus they also work well in finishing along with Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra.
Ron Price

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »

Try a small extract batch using the "15 minute pale ale" recipe. I did that two weeks ago with Mosaic. 3 lbs DME, 8 oz 60L crystal, Safale05, 3 oz Mosaic. I may do it again this weekend with a NZ hop. Fun and fast, and I'm not looking for the Rosebud of homebrews, just some insight into a particular hop.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Columbus hops
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:12:20 pm »

Try a small extract batch using the "15 minute pale ale" recipe. I did that two weeks ago with Mosaic. 3 lbs DME, 8 oz 60L crystal, Safale05, 3 oz Mosaic. I may do it again this weekend with a NZ hop. Fun and fast, and I'm not looking for the Rosebud of homebrews, just some insight into a particular hop.

Yeah, that's a good idea...and pragmatic!  Like you say, I'm not looking for an award winning beer.  Just a way to experience a hop variety.  Thanks for the idea.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Columbus hops
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »
Columbus is one of the hops I have found makes an excellent single hop beer. I recommend trying it.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »
Just bottled the Mosaic quick-n-easy 15-minute APA, and it is so tasty I am planning to do Fred Bonjour's late-hopped Amarillo APA with Mosaic next weekend. ( http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/AmarilloPaleAleBeerDuJour ) Now pondering doing the same "stovetop stuffin'" approach with Nelson or some other hop I haven't really played with.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:42 am »
I just did an all Columbus pale ale a couple of weeks ago.  The additions I chose were: .5 oz 30 min and 1 oz ea @ 10, flameout, and dryhop (in primary after 4 days).  5 gal batch...OG 1.050.  It's been in the keg a week and the flavor is like eating a grapefruit.  My sniffer isn't very good, so I can't tell exactly what the aroma is (people say dank, pungent, citrusy...I have no idea), but it certainly smells good to me. :)  The only way you'll know is to give it a try.  If you don't like it, you can always send it to me...I'll even pay shipping.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:40 am »
I like 'em!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:24 am »
I like 'em!

Columbus is one of the two hops in Denny's Wry Smile (the other is Mt. Hood) and I like that combo so much I've brewed that beer more than any other. Singling out Columbus in an APA sounds very interesting.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:10 am »
I like 'em!

Columbus is one of the two hops in Denny's Wry Smile (the other is Mt. Hood) and I like that combo so much I've brewed that beer more than any other. Singling out Columbus in an APA sounds very interesting.

It's funny that when John Maier from Rogue first tasted the beer, he said he never would have thought of that hop combo.  To tell the truth, I'm not sure how I came up with it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:04:20 am »
Hog Heaven Barleywine from Avery is an all columbus beer, if you want to get some ideas before brewing your own. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281