Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does increased mashout temp boost efficiency?  (Read 3493 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Does increased mashout temp boost efficiency?
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
Just brewed a double IPA for the first time and got crap efficiency. I have been doing single infusion mashing with fly sparge at 168 degrees. My mash rested at 150 for 75 min (as recommended by BeerSmith.) As I understand, higher mash temps make for increased efficiency but lowered fermentability. Although 150 is not high, it is higher than my usual 148 mash for light-bodied, dry ales.

So, if I raised the whole mash to 168 before vorlauf and lautering, would I see an increase in efficiency? I know this is a debated issue so maybe I'm beating a dead horse. I won't even get into the batch sparge vs. fly sparge debate...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:09:28 pm by kraftwerk »
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Does increased mashout temp boost efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »
You would probably see an increase in lauter efficiency.  And if you're not getting full conversion at the lower temp then it may help finish it off. 

Sometimes though with big beers where you're using a thicker mash you just need to recognize that you're going to get a lower efficiency than you may be accustomed to with normal gravity worts and compensate for it. 

I often get 80% efficiency on my "normal beers" and 70% on my big, all malt ones. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:33 am »
Just brewed a double IPA for the first time and got crap efficiency. I have been doing single infusion mashing with fly sparge at 168 degrees. My mash rested at 150 for 75 min (as recommended by BeerSmith.) As I understand, higher mash temps make for increased efficiency but lowered fermentability. Although 150 is not high, it is higher than my usual 148 mash for light-bodied, dry ales.

So, if I raised the whole mash to 168 before vorlauf and lautering, would I see an increase in efficiency? I know this is a debated issue so maybe I'm beating a dead horse. I won't even get into the batch sparge vs. fly sparge debate...

IME, when I started doing a mash out ,adding 5-6 qts of water to raise grist to about 168f, it did increase my efficiency. I also then batch sparge with water temp to keep grist around 168f. If you keep your ph in check, there should be no adverse results ( tannins). My efficiency went from high 70's to low 80's, to upper 80's to low 90's.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:07 am »
A mashout can help, but, for the problem that it helps, you might see the best effect on increased efficiency by raising the temperature into the 158-162F temperature range.  At that point you are improving gelatinization but maintaining amylase activity longer.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:36:58 am »
Since I run a RIMS, I can directly observe the increase in wort gravity with a mash out temperature step.  With no extra water added, the wort gravity rises by several points.  Since its not a big deal to perform a mash out step with a RIMS, its a no-brainer for me.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks