Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash-out  (Read 2897 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Mash-out
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:52:45 am »
Doing my first all-grain and was wondering how to to the mash-out step.  I'll be mashing in a 10 gal. cooler so in order to bring the temperature back up to @168 degrees should I add water to the wort or take some of the wort out and bring that up to a higher temp and add it back in to bring the total wort temp up?  Second, if the answer is to add water, then I would assume I subtract that from my sparge water? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Mash-out
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:29 am »
Are you fly or batch sparging? You can add water - and yes you'd subtract that from your sparge water. If you are batch sparging, just drain and add hot batch sparge water.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:37 am »
Are you fly or batch sparging? You can add water - and yes you'd subtract that from your sparge water. If you are batch sparging, just drain and add hot batch sparge water.
That's what I've been doing.  Draining the cooler and then adding ~185F water to bring the temp up to ~168-170 for the batch sparge.  Is that right?  Or should I use 168F water to batch sparge?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:47:11 am »
That's what I've been doing.  Draining the cooler and then adding ~185F water to bring the temp up to ~168-170 for the batch sparge.  Is that right?  Or should I use 168F water to batch sparge?
That's about right. 168 degree water won't budget the grain temperature much. I've heard people going as high as 190.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:17:12 am »
Right. Depending on how large the grain bill, I typically use 180-185F sparge water. But it's been shown that it doesn't really matter if you sparge with 168F, 160F, 180F water, etc. I don't think it makes a difference. Just so long as you don't sparge too hot, as in getting the grain bed over 170F, and extract tannins.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
A lot of purist will resist this comment but you can absolutely skip the mash out step. It may slightly increase your overall efficiency and lower the lag time on the boil slightly but you aren't going to get much else benefit from it.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:11:10 am »
A lot of purist will resist this comment but you can absolutely skip the mash out step. It may slightly increase your overall efficiency and lower the lag time on the boil slightly but you aren't going to get much else benefit from it.

Agreed, especially becasue most homebrewers don't really do a "mashout".  The only time I add water before the mash runoff is if I predict my mash and sparge runoffs will be more than a gal. different.  In that case I add enough water before mash runoff to pretty equalize them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:47:48 pm »

Yes, fly sparging.  Thanks for the info.

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:55 pm »

I think I read in John Palmer's book that he does not do a mash-out either.