Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil Question  (Read 5960 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Boil Question
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:25:15 am »
I just bought a 10 gallon Blichmann boil kettle so I could boil volumes of about 8.5 gallons.  My question is, will I be able to do that on my stove top or do I need to move to a propane burner? 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Boil Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:29:01 am »
Unless you have one serious home stove, you will need a burner.  My Bayou Classic has treated me well.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 06:55:13 am »
Unless you have one serious home stove, you will need a burner.  My Bayou Classic has treated me well.

Dave

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  I was hoping not to spend the night in the garage but I guess there is no escaping it....  Looks like we'll be drinking a stout during this brewing.  Thanks Dave.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:00 am »
Fill it with water and see if you can boil it.  One burner on my stove is super strong will boil easily. I've seen both gas and electric stoves that could do it - and some that couldn't. It all depends on how powerful the burners are.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:52 am »
Fill it with water and see if you can boil it.  One burner on my stove is super strong will boil easily. I've seen both gas and electric stoves that could do it - and some that couldn't. It all depends on how powerful the burners are.
+1. Try it and see. Chances are, though, you'll have to get an outdoor burner. My stove would take about 2 hours to get to a simmer. Now I can get to a full boil in 20 minutes or less.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:50:12 am »
I have a "bridge burner" in the center of my stove, I found that if I positioned the kettle partially over it and one of the other burners, that I could get my 8.7 gallons of wort to boil in about an hour and a half.  After that I bought a Bayou Classic outdoor propane burner, it can do the job in about 25-30 minutes.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:54:20 am »
Get a nice Blichmann burner to go with that kettle. You wont be sorry. They are built like a brick sh!thouse and get an 8 gallon boil going PDQ
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:21 am »

Dave

+1 i have the bayou classic also.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:00:51 pm »
IDK...Aside from the boil aspect, 8.5 gallons of water is about 70 lbs. That plus the weight of the kettle is a lot of weight to lift up onto the stove unless you have a pump.
Frank

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  A Blichmann looks pretty nice, especially with the leg extensions that are available.  BUT, it might be a little over my budget right now.  I do see where I can pick up a Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker for $87.49 on Amazon.  I might have to go that route.  So, now that I've decided to move the process to the garage, I guess I need to get water out there so I can chill the wort.  Always something to think about.  Thanks again everyone.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »
I don't know anything about it, and there aren't any customer reviews, but I saw this on the NB website the other day. Cheap...dunno about quality.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-dark-star-burner.html
Frank

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »
I just saw that on their catalog. It does say up to 10 gallons, but I don't like the way the top is constructed with no direct support on the outer rim where the kettle weight would be. I guess it would be fine for a flat bottom kettle, but I'm not sure about a keggle where the weight rests on the edge.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 09:10:56 pm »
I don't know anything about it, and there aren't any customer reviews, but I saw this on the NB website the other day. Cheap...dunno about quality.

I looked at that one also along with the Bayou KAB4 AND KAB6.  After reading the reviews and getting an offer from NorthernBrewer.com for a free Porter extract kit with the purchase of $125 or more, I decided to go with the Blichmann burner.  A little over my budget but it should last me a good long time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:12:19 am by donsmitty »

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:53 am »

I looked at that one also along with the Bayou KAB4 AND KAB6.  After reading the reviews and getting an offer from Blichmann for a free Porter extract kit with the purchase of $125 or more, I decided to go with the Blichmann burner.  A little over my budget but it should last me a good long time.

You will never regret spending a little more than you had intended as opposed to less than you should have.
I really like my Blichmann burner. I think you'll be delighted with it.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:22 am »

I looked at that one also along with the Bayou KAB4 AND KAB6.  After reading the reviews and getting an offer from NorthernBrewer.com for a free Porter extract kit with the purchase of $125 or more, I decided to go with the Blichmann burner.  A little over my budget but it should last me a good long time.

A big +1 on the Blichmann, I got mine last week and used it for the first time on Sunday. Definitely a good investment, especially with the leg kit.
I'm only here for the beer....