General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mash-out

(1/2) > >>

donsmitty:
Doing my first all-grain and was wondering how to to the mash-out step.  I'll be mashing in a 10 gal. cooler so in order to bring the temperature back up to @168 degrees should I add water to the wort or take some of the wort out and bring that up to a higher temp and add it back in to bring the total wort temp up?  Second, if the answer is to add water, then I would assume I subtract that from my sparge water? 

Jimmy K:
Are you fly or batch sparging? You can add water - and yes you'd subtract that from your sparge water. If you are batch sparging, just drain and add hot batch sparge water.

factory:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on March 19, 2013, 06:04:29 AM ---Are you fly or batch sparging? You can add water - and yes you'd subtract that from your sparge water. If you are batch sparging, just drain and add hot batch sparge water.

--- End quote ---
That's what I've been doing.  Draining the cooler and then adding ~185F water to bring the temp up to ~168-170 for the batch sparge.  Is that right?  Or should I use 168F water to batch sparge?

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: factory on March 19, 2013, 06:53:37 AM ---That's what I've been doing.  Draining the cooler and then adding ~185F water to bring the temp up to ~168-170 for the batch sparge.  Is that right?  Or should I use 168F water to batch sparge?

--- End quote ---
That's about right. 168 degree water won't budget the grain temperature much. I've heard people going as high as 190.

beersk:
Right. Depending on how large the grain bill, I typically use 180-185F sparge water. But it's been shown that it doesn't really matter if you sparge with 168F, 160F, 180F water, etc. I don't think it makes a difference. Just so long as you don't sparge too hot, as in getting the grain bed over 170F, and extract tannins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version