Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: homebrewed soda recipe???  (Read 1932 times)

Offline cwbrew

• 1st Kit
homebrewed soda recipe???
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »
I just bout a new keg setup for my homebrew so I went ahead and added a tap for soda for the kids. I bought the gnome extract (root beer & cream soda) but was wondering if anyone could give me a little help on sugar and syrup amounts to add to make a 5 gal batch that i wont have to throw out my first kit with the kids. they r exited about it and i dont want to have to order it again. thanks!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
Re: homebrewed soda recipe???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:20:09 am »
I've never used the gnome stuff.  Looking at their web site (http://www.gnomesoda.com/id3.html) it looks like you add somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.8 to 1.0 lbs per gallon.  I'd mix up whatever amount you're thinking with about half the amount of sugar to start.  Then you and your kids can add sugar to taste.  They'd probably get quite a kick out of being part of the process and giving their feedback.  You can also cut them off if their palate tolerates much more sweetness than yours.  As for syrup, all their 5-gallon recipes seem to call for 4 oz syrup.

If you have access to Zymurgy, you might be interested in an article that Drew Beechum has in the March/April issue dealing with some very interesting sodas you can make.

Offline cwbrew

• 1st Kit
Re: homebrewed soda recipe???
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »
thanks for the feedback