Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No East End Long Island Homebrew Clubs?  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
No East End Long Island Homebrew Clubs?
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »
I've recently returned to my hometown of Sag Harbor, Long Island after being away for a couple of decades.  I was looking for a club to join on the East End of Long Island from the AHA "Find a Homebrew Club" page and saw that all of the clubs in New York/Long Island are west of Riverhead, NY.  The closest club is 30 miles. In the tourist season that could be a three hour drive one way!

I went to Zeemaps.com and mapped all of the AHA clubs which were listed in the directory from Manhattan heading east into the sunrise. View the map.  Are there any unlisted or non-sanctioned clubs out East?

I was wondering if there were any East End home brewers from Hampton Bays to Montauk or on Shelter Island that would want to hook up in our area? 
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
Re: No East End Long Island Homebrew Clubs?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:41:01 pm »
Steve, the best idea is to start your own.  That's what we did (Dept of Homebrew Security).  There are some great clubs on the island, but they mostly met on a week night usually in Patchogue or somewhere else out east from us.  I'm sure there will be some other brewers out by you that will be interested in forming a club.  Good Luck!!

Cheers!

Jim

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
Wow...Worcester to Long Island.  How long before your accent reverts?  ;D

Good luck on finding/starting a club.  I'm a member of a club in Portsmouth, NH that was small when I started but is gaining every month.  There are homebrewers where you are...you just may need to coax them out with some beer.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:51 am »
I'll put some feelers out to see who's interested: I'll contact some of the breweries and ask them if they have heard of anybody who's been brewing out here.  Anyone use Meet Up?

Sometimes I'm conflicted.  I just moved to Sahg Hahbah. Forgit abow-dit.  Funny thing growing up out on the East End- long before cable was invented -I remember the CT and RI accents more than Brooklyn/NYC since New Haven/Hartford/Providence TV stations are way closer to Sag harbor than NYC TV stations. There was the local "Bonac" accent which came from Dorcester/Dorset on the southern English coast.  Those guys could talk and you'd never see a lip move.

Sláinte
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:50:39 am by Steve »
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline sherfster

• 1st Kit
  • Future's bright, oughta wear 'em
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:18 am »
Yes, there is. Brewer's East End Revival (B.E.E.R.). A pretty cool group, I'd say. If you are a beer judge they could use your help at their competition coming up on Saturday May 18.
David Sherfey
Judging Director
sherf@flagbrewing.com

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:03 am »
Yes, there is. Brewer's East End Revival (B.E.E.R.). A pretty cool group, I'd say. If you are a beer judge they could use your help at their competition coming up on Saturday May 18.

Thanks for the lead, but B.E.E.R. is definitely one of the clubs that I plotted on my linked map.  They do appear to be a great group with the 17th annual competition coming up.

An online map will show it's 56 miles and 72 minutes to John Harvard's in Lake Grove or 45 miles and 60 minutes to the other at the Brickhouse in Patchogue, where they hold their regular monthly meetings.  Both of these meeting locations are in Center Island rather than the East End. With local or tourist traffic, it could take a chunk of the day or night to get there and back.

Still in search!
Steve

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:50 pm »
why not ask them if the have members in your area and see if they will do a smaller meeting closer to your local that you can attend easier?
2 cents
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
I might ask. I wouldn't want them thinking that their members are being poached.  If members near me hear of a more local club they could join it.  Oh! The ethics of it all.  All the club can do is say no.
Steve

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »
well my thought was if you become part of that club and do meetings on different nights, that way people can attend both if they have the ability.  like if they do the second wednesday of every month maybe you could try and get the people more local to you in that same club to meet on the fourth wednesday of every month closer to where you are, thereby allowing more meetings.  i guess in the end it sounds selfish, but people may bite:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:38 pm »
Like a branch office! Thanks for that.  Oh, the alcohol fairy arrives in a few minutes.
Steve