Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash-in  (Read 11411 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Mash-in
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:00:06 am »
I've been reading John Palmer's "How to Brew" book and he states "You want to add the water to the grain, not the other way around."  So many videos that I have seen, as well as, posts in various forums show the grain being added to the water.  I just viewed John Palmer's video on all-grain that he did with NorthernBrewer and he added the grain to the water.  So he contradicts what he wrote in the book.  I know when it comes to baking you always add the dry ingredients to the wet.  But, I wouldn't listen to the Food Network folks for brewing beer so that's why I'm bringing my questions to you.  Question:  Which method do you use and do you see a difference in adding the water to the grain vs. adding the grain to the water? 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Mash-in
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:37 am »
You'll probably get about 60%-40% on this with the 60% being add grain to water.  Let's see!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:42 am »
If you're adding grain to water, you can check the water temperature just before adding the grain in case it lost some in transfer from the HLT. This method seems to encourage doughballs though. I've done both.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20:16 am »
I've found that it is easier for me to hit my mash-in temp if I add the grain to the water.  I use a 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler to mash/lauter.  If I put the strike water in the cooler (after pre-heating) and let it sit for a few minutes, I can tell if I need to adjust the temp before mashing-in.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:40:35 am »
I do a mix of both, mostly just for speed and simplicity.

In my Gott Cooler, I add water about 1" above the copper manifold, then add the grain, then dump the water on top. I think it helps keep dough balls and dry spots from forming in and around the manifold. It also makes picking up the 15-gal kettle (HLT at this point) manageable.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:11:48 am »
I get a lot more dough balls and air if I add water to the grain. So I add grain to the water. It is less work for me.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
I let my strike water run freely. When water gets one inch above my false bottom I scoop six cups of grain in and stir till saturated. I do this till just short of having all my water. I can then take a temperature reading and determine if I need to add cold water or let the strike water run some more.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
I go water first, then slowly stir in the grain. I get almost no dough balls.
Jon H.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:59 am »
Done it all three ways. First grain then water, some water then grain and water and finally water then grain. Find it just mixes easier with the water in first, then the grain.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
I am opposite.  Grain bill goes in, then water gets pumped in on top while I occasionaly stir.  It takes a few minutes to wet the grain and stabilize and determine mash temp, but I prefer to minimize my opportunity for injuring myself, and it gives me time to make adjustments.  Since I recirculate mash constantly, never noticed a dough ball after mash in is complete.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:43:06 am »
In terms of beer quality, it really doesn't matter.  It comes down to which way works better for you.  For me, grain to water works better. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:48 am »
Back when I first started AG I added water to grain. Now I add grain to water. I stir well with a paddle and dough balls have never been an issue. I'll agree with several others and say I'cve been more consistent hitting my strike temps; at least I've had better luck. I can't imagine it makes any difference to the mash - what ever you're comfortable with.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:06 am »
I'm a grain to water kind of woman.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:34:51 am »
Another for grain to water!
Jesse

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
I add grain to water
Frank