Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: pin vs ball??  (Read 6123 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: pin vs ball??
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:18 am »
I prefer ball lock kegs because they're easier to release pressure (PRV), smaller diameter (can fit more kegs in kegerator), eventhough they tend to be a little more expensive. Pin lock kegs will suffice , but I prefer the ball lock overall for performance. Spare parts are quite expensive, so I recommend sticking with one or the other.
Ron Price

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:54 pm »
i see that the pin lock kegs on midwest have PRV's. Is there a way to convert a lid to have a prv?

I think the difference is that ball locks have PRVs that you can open manually by pulling them up.  On pin locks it's more of a safety valve that releases when pressure builds too high.

Of course, since I don't have any pin locks I don't know for certain, but that's what the internets tell me.

I'd personally be wary of drilling through a lid, but I suppose you could rig something.  Wouldn't it be easier just to release pressure on the gas side?

I know that you could just depress the poppet on the gas side, but isn't that a PRV?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pin-lock-5-gallon-reconditioned-keg.html
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:35 am »
I just recently bought three ball lock corneys and a kit to build a two tap kegerator. I built and learned a lot along the way. I did not know about size dif between ball and pin but got lucky and bought the skinny ball locks. With some cutting and carving I got two to fit in a 4.4cf magic chef

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 05:19:17 am »
i see that the pin lock kegs on midwest have PRV's. Is there a way to convert a lid to have a prv?

I think the difference is that ball locks have PRVs that you can open manually by pulling them up.  On pin locks it's more of a safety valve that releases when pressure builds too high.

Of course, since I don't have any pin locks I don't know for certain, but that's what the internets tell me.

I'd personally be wary of drilling through a lid, but I suppose you could rig something.  Wouldn't it be easier just to release pressure on the gas side?

I know that you could just depress the poppet on the gas side, but isn't that a PRV?

Yes, photo #4 shows a pressure relief valve.  I've seen them on some pin lock kegs, but not very often and usually they had been modified to fit or the whole cage had come from a ball lock keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:43 am »
Alright!  A topic I can really get into!

I've been playing pinball since I had to stand on a milk crate to reach the bumper buttons (WAY before Tommy)

My favorite machine?  Bally's Fireball!!!  Hands down. 

Cornelius kegs?  I have a s***load of those.  I use them to store low wines in, for the most part these days.  A couple of C-kegs full of low wines at 40% is the perfect charge for a spirit run on a sanke keg boiler.

I serve my homebrew from six-tels.  sanke connections s*** all over ball and pin(head)lock connections.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:19:27 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:49:41 am »

Many reconditioned pin locks have had their lids replaced or modified with a manual PRV. I'm not sure you can do that yourself - I don't even know where you'd buy the PRV parts. You can buy replacement lids, but I think they're around $15. Starts to get into 'Why am I saving money on a used keg?' territory.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
So, long story short, looks like those are good buys for the cost.

thanks.

-Dave
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"