General Category > Beer Recipes

Rough Draft

<< < (3/5) > >>

erockrph:
If you want to cut the IBU's down a little, then you could simply move your 5 minute addition to flameout. Otherwise it looks pretty good to me. The grain bill is spot-on how I like my IPA's, although I don't bother with the wheat. The hops do plenty for head retention on their own.

I'd also double the dry-hops. I like at least 4 oz in my IPA's.

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: erockrph on March 20, 2013, 09:43:20 PM ---If you want to cut the IBU's down a little, then you could simply move your 5 minute addition to flameout. Otherwise it looks pretty good to me. The grain bill is spot-on how I like my IPA's, although I don't bother with the wheat. The hops do plenty for head retention on their own.

I'd also double the dry-hops. I like at least 4 oz in my IPA's.

--- End quote ---

^^^^^^^   IMHO an IPA should be more balanced than a DIPA for instance.  An AIPA should have lots of hop flavor and aroma and can be pretty bitter, but should not be astringent.  I find that over bittering can take the first layer of cells off your tongue. :o ;)

brewmasternpb:
Just from experience, I'd have to disagree with the 4 oz of Dry Hops if you're using Columbus... They have so much going on, it's almost a chemical, phenolic character if you use too much.

gymrat:
I brewed this up yesterday. I did deviate a little from my rough draft. I FWH with 1 oz Mt Hood 3.6% AA hops.
The rest of my hop schedule was as follows:
All Columbus
1oz 20 minutes
2oz 15 minutes
2oz 10 minutes
1oz 5 minutes
My entire man cave smells like hops right now. This afternoon I had krausen in my air lock and had to put in a blow off tube. The tube is full of krausen and blowing into my jug like an aquarium pump.

kgs:
Is that third addition actually at 10 minutes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version