General Category > Equipment and Software

Conical Fermenter Size

(1/3) > >>

foxburggolf:
An opportunity to get a used 14 gal Blickman conical stainless steel fermenter at a good price has come up.  However, I don't want to brew 10 gallon batches.  Has anyone brewed 5 gallon batches in a 14 gal fermenter and did it have any affect on the beer.  It seems to me that the additional head space might be a problem.  I'd appreciate any input you may have before I commit to buying this; even though the price is good, it still costs a few bucks.

a10t2:
The only real problem would be if it has a racking port or arm that's designed to leave behind a fixed portion of the 10 gal batch. Proportionately, you'd be doubling the losses for a 5 gal batch. It would also be a waste of CO2, if you're planning on carbonating in the conical.

dcbc:
I recall reading on Blichmann's website that you can.  As for carbonating, they are not designed to hold pressure apart from the 2--5 psi for transfers. 

BrewArk:
I skipped getting the larger fermenter because I can fit the 7 gallon fermenter in the beer fridge.  Do you have a place for good temperature control on that big a vessel?

blatz:

--- Quote from: BrewArk on March 21, 2013, 12:44:43 PM ---I skipped getting the larger fermenter because I can fit the 7 gallon fermenter in the beer fridge.  Do you have a place for good temperature control on that big a vessel?

--- End quote ---

yes, you can get one of these:

I've never put a 5gal batch in either of mine, but I wouldn't hesitate to.  The loss below the racking arm is not that bad, and heck, you could just brew a 6gal batch to suit it if so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version