General Category > Other Fermentables

can white labs sweet mead yeast ferment at low temp?

(1/2) > >>

cornershot:
So the Chilean wine grape season is almost here and I want to make a sweet reisling pyment. I want to use wlp720 for which the recommended temperature is 70-75F but a white wine should ferment below 50F to avoid losing aromatics in a more vigorous, higher temp fermentation. Does anyone have experience with using this yeast at cooler temps?

mtnrockhopper:
No idea, but I'd guess no if they say 70-75. Red Star Premier Cuvee is a white wine yeast that will ferment down to 45F. Any reason you want to use the sweet mead yeast?

erockrph:
You could always ferment the wine separately then blend it afterwards.

mtnrockhopper:
Though I imagine the cold ferment will benefit the mead too.

cornershot:
I've had great results with the wlp720 in my meads so it's become my go-to yeast. Many strains work well below their "optimum" temp and I hoped this might be one of them. But 20+F below the recommended temperature is probably a bit of a stretch. I'm targeting a sweet pyment and the cuvee is too alcohol tolerant at 18%. I anticipate the juice to measure around 1.080 and plan on adding 1-1.5# per gallon to bring the gravity to 1.130. The Lalvin D-47 looks like it might be a better choice with an alcohol tolerance of 14% and a low temp of 50F. This would give me an fg in the mid-1.020s which would be about my (wife's) target fg. I've made melomels but this would be my first pyment. Will a pound of honey/gallon contribute enough honey character?  I've considered blending but that means I need to make a separate batch of mead and right now fermentation fridge space, carboy space and $ will rule out that option. Thanks for the suggestions!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version