Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop in Primary?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline barryh

• 1st Kit
Dry Hop in Primary?
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »
When I brewed my first batch a few months ago, a red ale from a kit,  I forgot to add the flavoring hops in the last 5 min.  So what I did was dry hop them. After about 4 days when the vigorous feremntation was over I put the pellets in the primary and bottled in 10 days. I thought the beer came out pretty good, with a nice little hop nose. I just bottled an IPA, and I did the same thing, threw in the Cascade after the virgorous fementation phase ended. Everything I have read says if you dry hop, use a secondary. Is there any reason NOT to dry hop in the primary as I have done? I would rather not use a secondary partly because I am lazy and it is also one more stage that exposes the ale to possible contamination and or oxygen.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Dry Hop in Primary?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:45:07 pm »
I always dry hop in primary.

IMO you're doing it right - wait until fermentation is almost done, throw them in, then bottle/keg from primary.

I like to use more hops (3-4 oz for IPA) with less contact time (2-3 days). I've noticed some 'old grass clipping' flavors when I leave them on for 4 days or more.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Dry Hop in Primary?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:06 pm »
I dry hop in primary as well and am typically using 2-3 oz for 5-7 days.

If I use more than 3oz I go 3-5 days at most. Then I cold crash a few days and bottle.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline barryh

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:43 pm »
Thanks so much for the the advice. The IPA I just bottled I dry hopped 2 oz Cascade for eight days, so next time I will adjust the amounts and shorten up the time.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:41:41 am »
I usually use 2-3 oz, dry hop in primary, and leave them in for the last 5 days or so. 

I don't do secondary unless there's a very specific reason to do so.  "Brewing a pale ale or IPA" is not a reason to do so.  In fact, I've only done a secondary twice, ever, once for fruit and once for a stout with vanilla, but probably didn't need to on the stout.