General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

"Twanginess" aftertaste to my Pale Ale

<< < (2/5) > >>

brianselvy:

--- Quote from: factory on March 21, 2013, 12:46:51 PM ---You didn't mention what you use to sanitize your equipment with.  By any chance did you use bleach?  If you did use bleach, and with the fermentation temps at the higher end, you might be tasting chlorophenols (sp?), or some other phenols.  Does it smell/taste like band-aids?

--- End quote ---

I used Star San to sanitize everything.  I guess you could describe the taste as sort of like a band-aid.  In Tucson, AZ, it's hard to get ambient house temperatures much lower than the low 70s without completely cranking up the AC (and then having to suffer the consequences, as my wife will be too cold).  I guess this is saying I should invest in at least a small fridge with a temp controller.

denny:

--- Quote from: brianselvy on March 21, 2013, 02:39:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: factory on March 21, 2013, 12:46:51 PM ---You didn't mention what you use to sanitize your equipment with.  By any chance did you use bleach?  If you did use bleach, and with the fermentation temps at the higher end, you might be tasting chlorophenols (sp?), or some other phenols.  Does it smell/taste like band-aids?

--- End quote ---

I used Star San to sanitize everything.  I guess you could describe the taste as sort of like a band-aid.  In Tucson, AZ, it's hard to get ambient house temperatures much lower than the low 70s without completely cranking up the AC (and then having to suffer the consequences, as my wife will be too cold).  I guess this is saying I should invest in at least a small fridge with a temp controller.

--- End quote ---

Band aid is a red flag fro chlorophenols, which come from using chlorinated water.  You started with bottled water, but was your top off water from the tap?

brianselvy:

--- Quote from: denny on March 21, 2013, 02:56:35 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Band aid is a red flag fro chlorophenols, which come from using chlorinated water.  You started with bottled water, but was your top off water from the tap?

--- End quote ---

I used bottled water for the top off too.  I used tap water for the sanitation water.

stlaleman:
I'm saying your temp was too high, ambient over 70, your actual fermenting temp during high krausen was mid 70's to 80.

hellbound:

I guess this is saying I should invest in at least a small fridge with a temp controller.

--- End quote ---

Not Necessarily. You can go get a party tub, like the ones they give you for ice with a keg? and keep that handy. 20 lbs of ice and some cool water makes for an effective ice bath for chilling your wort. It's also really effective and cheap to use for a swamp cooler to control fermentation temps. Just fill the tub with cool water to about an inch or so below the wort level in your carboy/fermenting vessel and then you can use frozen (sanitized) water bottles to drop the temp down to where you need it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version