Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5-gallon bucket filter  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Bill Wallace

• 1st Kit
5-gallon bucket filter
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »
here's an ebay link on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-EZ-strainer-Bucket-Pail-Filter-Biodiesel-WVO-WMO-Paint-Oil-Water-Liquid-/231228412804?pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&var=&hash=item35d6499384

I think I bought mine on amazon, but does anyone see a reason not to use one of these when lautering to the boil pot? They come in different micron sizes. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 5-gallon bucket filter
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »
Don't see why not. I've used 5 gallon paint strainer bags for years. Same principle.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
Except there isn't really any need to filter on the way to the boil kettle and it adds another failure point to the system.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:16:54 pm »
Except there isn't really any need to filter on the way to the boil kettle and it adds another failure point to the system.

Yeah, I don't strain on the way to the kettle either. But I remember straining through fine mesh into the kettle when I started out in AG, mostly out of being OCD about fine husk getting into the kettle. Obviously a good vorlauf takes care of that.

EDIT  -  I use paint strainer bags mostly for hops, to contain them in the kettle (aka a 'frugal' spider) and to contain dry hops.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:34:40 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
5-gallon bucket filter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »
I simply hook up a high temp hose to the mash/lauter tun valve, vorlauf and drain. The grain bed does all the straining into the boil kettle.

I do run the wort thru a strainer into the fermenter but this  is an effort to help aerate after the boil and the wort is cooled. And I do use a paint strainer bag in my home made hop spider to contain the hop trub so I rarely get anything in the brew kettle to fermenter strainer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:18:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:36 am »

+1. No need to filter during lautering. That's what the grain bed is for. If you vorlauf you should get clear wort. And even if a few chunks of grain get over it won't really matter (but if you batch sparge with denny's method and the stainless mesh screen you won't have any grain get through at all.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:48:57 am »
What that filter would be nice for is those of us who just dump their kettle into a bucket fermenter. This would probably do a decent job of catching trub and hop schwag without clogging. I might have to look into this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 06:57:47 am »
What that filter would be nice for is those of us who just dump their kettle into a bucket fermenter. This would probably do a decent job of catching trub and hop schwag without clogging. I might have to look into this.
I dump my kettle into the bucket as well (no valve), and I pour through a funnel with a strainer bag to catch extra hop particles (not caught by the spider) and some of the trub. Definitely catches a fair amount.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:28 am »
I dump my kettle into the bucket as well (no valve), and I pour through a funnel with a strainer bag to catch extra hop particles (not caught by the spider) and some of the trub. Definitely catches a fair amount.
I put one of these inside a paint strainer bag, and it certainly catches a lot.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103755/

But I don't use a spider, so an all-pellet hop IPA is still a bit of a challenge for me. I'm thinking a fine filter like this may make life a bit easier. And it will be a heck of a lot easier to clean afterwards.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:45 am »

THIS^^^^^.  Not to mention doing unnecessary work...I hate that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:16:03 am »
I put one of these inside a paint strainer bag, and it certainly catches a lot.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103755/

But I don't use a spider, so an all-pellet hop IPA is still a bit of a challenge for me. I'm thinking a fine filter like this may make life a bit easier. And it will be a heck of a lot easier to clean afterwards.

I use a big stainless steel kitchen strainer that I got fairly cheap at an Asian market. That catches most trub from pellets, but I do two pours to help aerate. That on the first pass and this on the second would probably be even better. I would worry that the fine mesh would clog with the initial amount of trub.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.