Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite beer you've ever brewed?  (Read 8641 times)

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
Favorite beer you've ever brewed?
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »
So what's the favorite beer you've ever brewed? Just curious is all really.

Mine is an Arrogant Bastard clone that I put together myself, after brewing it over a dozen times, it's spot on. Reason it's my favorite, it's the very first beer that got me into real beer in the first place. And the idea of being able to brew it myself? well, that's why I started brewing.

Cheers Brewheads!

-Dave
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Favorite beer you've ever brewed?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
It was probably my tart cherry stout. It was my second all grain brew. My first was my attempts to clone SNPA. That beer didn't clone it, but it was still pretty good. But that was a simple recipe. I decided to jump into something that was much more complicated. I questioned myself if I should brew it or not. I put the recipe together. It involved cold steeping of dark grains and racking the beer onto 10 pounds of fresh tart cherries. This was last July....The beer was very cherry-y at first. After some aging, it is now pretty damn good IMO. Good enough that I registered it into the NHC. So, I guess I'll see how good it actually is  8)
Frank

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:44 pm »
Good enough that I registered it into the NHC. So, I guess I'll see how good it actually is  8)

Good Luck
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:41 am »
My rye pale ale that is almost gone. It was also my first beer that was kegged or dry-hoped and the first beer of mine that I kept for myself and didn't share with very many people.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:37:18 am »
The American brown ale I brewed last year.  Big hop flavor and aroma with a nice malty backbone and just a hint of roasty chocolate in the finish. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:58:04 am »
My dry-hopped Ofest that I brewed last year. It was my first lager and it just nailed the combo of hop aroma, malty richness and a nice lager yeast note.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:28:04 am »
I'm forever chasing a series of bitters made back in 2007 that tasted exactly like ruby-red grapefruit juice. Amber color and hopped with columbus and cascade. I could do no wrong and made this beer all summer long. Ever since then I can only get hints of grapefruit in my beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:41 am »
This like asking me which is my favorite kid....;)

That said, on two sides of the spectrum, there were a couple all FWH kolches I brewed that were so outstanding I was sorry it was only 10 gallons. And my IIPA recipe is a favorite of mine as well.

There was also a cherry, cinnamon dubble I made for Christmas aged on toasted cherry wood several years ago that was really amazing to me and it was one beer that really aged out nicely 2 years later. It all went into champagne bottles and I was really sorry when I opened the last one that is was the last one. One thing I had done with that batch was make my own cinnamon candy sugar. I'm not sure how much pf the cinnamon remained in the beer but it was fun and tasted really good before going in beer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:22:48 am by majorvices »

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:17 am »
I make a double decocted OFest every year for our Mountain Party which seems to get better every year.  But I'd say my Steam Beer is about perfected.  Hmm, but so is my Pilsner Urquell and Guiness clone.  I'm with Keith, too hard of a question!   :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:27 am »
A Pliny clone I brewed a few years ago.  I could never get that great blend of hop flavor and aroma again.
Brew on

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40:19 am »
ive got two. a 50/50 2 row/maris with 50/50 amarillo/centennial dry hopped with those 2 and simcoe and a dash of citra pale ale. it was the first all grain beer i brewed with biab. the other is the first beer i brewed because without it, i wouldn't be here. it was an extract wheat porter that turned out pretty good actually.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:45:48 am by sparkleberry »
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:46:13 am »
I'm still waiting.....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 08:55:52 am »
A German Pilsner in 2010 that was darned near perfect.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:30 am »
Dave Zach

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:47 am »
So far - in terms of drinking, it's been some of the simple beers that surprise me at how good they taste.  I guess if I had to pick one it would be a Bo Pils that had a really nice malty backbone and finished wonderfully crisp.  Simple batch sparge and grain bill, too. "Did you really make that?" - I was asked.

Now, I have enjoyed brewing the Denny beers, Jamil's beers, Stan Hieronymus' beers, Ken Lenard's beers, Fred Bonjour's beers, ....(too many to name and thank!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"