Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite beer you've ever brewed?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Re: Favorite beer you've ever brewed?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
The last batch  ;)

I have people ask me to redo two every time I see them. One was a red ale, dry hopped with oak. The second is a Nut Brown. Can't keep that one around for long.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Furbinator409

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:01 pm »
I was just tasting a variation of Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Porter that we have oaked using charred bourbon barrels.  So far, this is my favorite!  It's the first beer I've made that I am decidedly not sharing openly.  Does that make me a bad person? 

I also have a Blueberry Wheat that is my first beer, and still a go-to recipe for fun drinkability. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 01:27:52 pm »
I was just tasting a variation of Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Porter that we have oaked using charred bourbon barrels.  So far, this is my favorite!  It's the first beer I've made that I am decidedly not sharing openly.  Does that make me a bad person? 

Sorry, but you are headed straight to hell, so I will help prevent that - you can send me a few bottles ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:42 pm »
I'm going to say my attempted clone of Big Swell IPA from Maui brewing. It was among my first batches of homebrew and even though it was a little too dark (got kinda overzealous with the crystal malt), it was still incredible! Also coincided with my buying a keg/tap system and it was in the middle of summer so I associate it with some fond memories.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »
I'm still waiting.....
I don't believe that for a second!
The one in your hand?
Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Favorite beer you've ever brewed?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »
I'm still waiting.....
The one in your hand?

I don't have one in my hand...that's why I'm waiting!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 07:06:35 pm »
I'm still waiting.....
The one in your hand?

A wise man once told me that the beat beer in the world was the one in front of him. Perfect. But surely you have a favorite? Or are there just too many to count?
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:59 pm »
I'm still waiting.....
The one in your hand?

A wise man once told me that the beat beer in the world was the one in front of him. Perfect. But surely you have a favorite? Or are there just too many to count?

It's boring and obvious, but it would have to be my Rye IPA.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:12 am »
I'm still waiting.....
The one in your hand?

The most asked for brew on my taps - I'm presently out of stock and it may get brewed today!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »

It's a good one for sure. Only brewed it once. Loved it. How long did it take you to refine it to where you wanted it?
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:15 am »
Tough to say, but one of the funnest brewing experiences I've had was a couple weeks ago. I woke up to a blanket of fresh snow and a message saying that the office was closed. So, I decided to brew. I didn't use a recipe, just went by feel and experience and some guessing. It went incredibly well and was a lot of fun. "A little of this, a little of that!" I bottled it yesterday and I think it's going to be a damn good, refreshing session ale (1.039 OG, IBU's in the 50's).

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 09:21:55 am »
The best beer I ever brewed was the all grain Patersbier kit from NB. I dont care for belgain beers but this one did not have any of the phenolics that I usually get. I have rebrewed this kit 4 times and it has never been anything close (always belgainy) I wonder if somehow the yeast packaging got messed up. I tried it one time with US05 but that turned out so clean it was like water.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:56 am »
The best beer I ever brewed was the all grain Patersbier kit from NB. I dont care for belgain beers but this one did not have any of the phenolics that I usually get. I have rebrewed this kit 4 times and it has never been anything close (always belgainy) I wonder if somehow the yeast packaging got messed up. I tried it one time with US05 but that turned out so clean it was like water.

Look to your yeast health proper ferm temp (65 or so) and proper yeast pitching quantities (not too much, not to little) will help you control those phenolics and esters.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 10:01:27 am »

It's a good one for sure. Only brewed it once. Loved it. How long did it take you to refine it to where you wanted it?

12-15 batches to hone the recipe and make sure it was repeatable.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 11:19:30 am »
I'm still waiting.....
The one in your hand?

Sometimes the boring and obvious are the best, boring being subjective. Like I said, there was a kolsch I was brewing for a while that I was just amazed by. I really nailed it. It's not something I would want to sit down and drink everyday but I was highly impressed by it and managed to nail the simplicity of the beer.

Need to brew that one again. Wife's b'day is coming up.