Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oops...Session IPA  (Read 12395 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Oops...Session IPA
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:11:57 am »
About 4 weeks back I brewed up what was supposed to be a Double IPA. Had a couple of brew friends over and next thing you know, I space out. First, I sparged at a temp of 152 as opposed to my standard 165 - 168, then, I cut off the sparge too soon and leave a gallon and a half of sweet sweet wort in the mash tun! Result? A 1.045 Double IPA. I thought - I'll cut back the hops - make it a pale. Then I think - forget that - I already messed up once - let's push it further. I add ALL the hops as if it were pushing 1.08. 6 ounces TOTAL including the dry hopping! What a sin! You can't do that! You have to back off on the hops! Hogwash!

End result? An absolutely delicious 4.5% IPA with loads of hop flavor and aroma. OH! and no, no secondary - four weeks in primary, then straight to the keg. I even dry hopped in the primary.

Every now and then it's good to break the "rules". And a session IPA seems to be a cardinal sin in the brewing community. All I can say is: I'm drinking it now and couldn't be happier with the flavor! Cheers!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oops...Session IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
It's all beer, right?

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »
yes! it's all beer.

one of the best things i love about home brewing is i don't have to follow any rules if i don't want.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »
Session IPAs a sin? Since when?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »

That's what I wanted to know... I love me some session IPA's.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:06:30 am »

That's what I wanted to know... I love me some session IPA's.

I'm 2 batches into trying to find the perfect Session IPA recipe. Call me a sinner, I guess!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:09:16 am »
6 ounces TOTAL including the dry hopping!

you might be just fine. that isn't really that much. I regularly use a # per 10gallons of IPA, and 10-12ounces for an APA.  As long as they were spread out throughout the boil, you may have stumbled upon something stellar!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Oops...Session IPA
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:31 am »
Thought all good IPAs were session beers. What's really good (and bad) is when your 1.085 IIPA drinks like a session beer. ;)

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
I'm 2 batches into trying to find the perfect Session IPA recipe. Call me a sinner, I guess!  ;D

FYI - kelsey mcnair's west coast bitter has gotten rave reviews - its in my soon-to-brew folder.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:56 am »
Sounds good to me.  When I started AG brewing many years ago, it took a few batches to dial in my system, so a couple 1.065 - 1.070 IPAs ended up as Session IPAs back in the day. I guess it falls under the "Brewing Mistake That Turned Out Great " heading.  Session IPAs rock!
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

FYI - kelsey mcnair's west coast bitter has gotten rave reviews - its in my soon-to-brew folder.

Have been looking at that one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
6 ounces includes the dry hops?  That better be for a session IPA, cause it's not going to cut it for a double!   ;)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:56:05 am »
"6 ounces includes the dry hops?  That better be for a session IPA, cause it's not going to cut it for a double!"   

Beersmith had the IBU at 75. Definitely enough for a double.

Thanks for all the feedback peeps! I've read some REALLY negative reviews regarding session IPA's and how they shouldn't exist - not enough alcohol - too much hops - stuff like that. I was just really happy at how well it turned out. Would definitely consider brewing it again.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:35 am »
"6 ounces includes the dry hops?  That better be for a session IPA, cause it's not going to cut it for a double!"   

IBUs yes, flavor and aroma, well, there's no measurement for that.  6oz total is by far way too low for an Imperial IPA.  I'd use 6oz/5gal in the last 15min alone, not counting bittering or dryhopping. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:33 am »

Thanks for all the feedback peeps! I've read some REALLY negative reviews regarding session IPA's and how they shouldn't exist - not enough alcohol - too much hops - stuff like that. I was just really happy at how well it turned out. Would definitely consider brewing it again.

IBUs don't really matter since the majority of hops should go at flameout. You could have used 4-6 oz of hops at flame out and again at dry hop. A double IPA is about showcasing hop flavor and aroma not bitterness.

Edit: Blatz is quick on the draw! ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:14:21 am by majorvices »