Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Temp Question  (Read 2326 times)

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
Hop Temp Question
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
Making my last IPA, I wanted to chill to about 175 and then do a hop stand, but thanks to my kiddos by the time I got back to chill it was 120ish.  I tossed the hops in anyway, any idea how this will affect the beer?

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Hop Temp Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:07 am »
I'm by no means an expert - but, my understanding based on what I've read is that you obtain your bitterness from the boil. So, you are most likely going to get some nice hop aroma and flavor but no bitterness.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

narvin

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:50:24 am »
You probably got less aroma from them at the lower temperature.  Not sure how much, though... probably somewhere between an hour-long hop stand @175 and an hour of dry hopping at room temp.  ;)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53:04 am »
Too low of a temp for isomerization to really come into play, but you will still get some aroma and flavor out of that. Tell us how it turns out :)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:57:26 am »
I'm by no means an expert - but, my understanding based on what I've read is that you obtain your bitterness from the boil. So, you are most likely going to get some nice hop aroma and flavor but no bitterness.
You get bitterness if you do a stand or whirlpool at >180F. Iso_AA is formed, but at a much lower utilization rate than the boil. Pelican Pub Kiwanda Cream Ale is made with all the hops in the whirlpool, measures 25 IBU. I do a Cream Ale like that, and it does have bitterness, alog with good hop flavor and aroma. Just saying.

Some others on the board have done stands at 110F or so for flavor/aroma additions. I have not.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:37:28 am »
Can't hurt, and you may end up retaining more of the hop oils with lower flash points, but I don't think it will work nearly as well as a hot hop stand. I find that the biggest benefit I see from a hop stand is improved hop flavor. I'm sure there are benefits to the aroma side as well, but I dry hop the hell out of my hoppy beers, so I don't know if I'd notice how much of a difference it makes. I do see a significant boost in hop flavor, though.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Hop Temp Question
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:18 pm »
Sorry to hear it's your last IPA. :(

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »
My last IPA, good one!  I didn't have those additions planned as contributing any and bitterness so that part should be ok, there was an additional 5oz. in the boil so I hope it turns out ok.