Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oops...Session IPA  (Read 12447 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oops...Session IPA
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »
I think I may start a campaign to come up with  new name for the overhopped APAs that people are referring to as session IPAs.  AFAIAC, calling them either APA or IPA makes it harder to define what an APA or IPA is.

I've found some difficulty with this when judging, too.  Suddenly a very good APA is not hoppy enough for a lot of my judging partners.  Sierra Nevada Pale Ale seems too tame.  I am not complaining about new beer styles, I just think we need a new name.

Thank you for joining the Campaign for Accurate Beer Naming!  ;)  You can say that a pig is a poodle, but that doesn't make it one!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »
I think I may start a campaign to come up with  new name for the overhopped APAs that people are referring to as session IPAs.  AFAIAC, calling them either APA or IPA makes it harder to define what an APA or IPA is.
  I don't think the problem is in calling these beers IPAs; the idea is to make them taste like IPAs, so they are IPAs.  Also, there is a wealth of tradition of IPAs in this alcohol range.  I see the source of the problem in calling beers hopped like IPAs, APAs, or hoppy beers with the alcohol level of a Double IPA, IPAs.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:09 am »
 I brew mine to 4.2% ABV, which is smaller than the low end of the scale for an APA. I like the "ISA" name, haven't heard that one before.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:01 am »
I've officially named it my "Upside Down IPA" and I pitch it to all my guests as a "Session IPA". You can't stop me.  ;)
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:16 am »
I've officially named it my "Upside Down IPA" and I pitch it to all my guests as a "Session IPA". You can't stop me.  ;)

...and that's the beauty of our great hobby.  I just hope your using a blue cooler. ;) :)
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
Dear Naming Committee:

Since APA, EPA, and IPA are already defined and taken, may I suggest: 

XPA = eXtra Pale Ale = "session(able)" IPA.

I define an XPA as "a pale ale that's extra hoppy (prominent hop flavor and aroma) and extra dry (like an IPA)."  There should be some leeway with respect to hop bitterness which can range from clean and restrained like some APA's hopped with Magnum or Warrior to boldly prominent like some IPA's that have been hopped with Columbus, for example.  Having said that, I prefer the restrained, clean bittering approach when trying to showcase hop flavor and aromas.

Offline wactuary

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:10 pm »
I like SIPA.  It sounds like sippah, which kind of works for the drinkable session nature of it.

You can SIPA all day long.