Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BRY-97 First Impression  (Read 3476 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
BRY-97 First Impression
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
I used BRY-97 on my second batch of White Wheat Wonder. I must say I am impressed. I did not rehydrate, I simply sprinkled it in. My beer went from 1.060 to 1.011 in 14 days. The sample I tasted from the fermenter was absolutely delicious. The cake was super easy to clean out of my bucket. It almost poured out. No more S 05 for me.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: BRY-97 First Impression
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
I take it this strain is more flocculant than US-05?

I will definitely give it a shot.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:01 pm »
Resurrecting this thread a bit, but I brewed a wheat on Saturday with this BRY-97 yeast. After reading reports from various sources on the web about slow starts, I decided to make a starter in my 2L flask with a packet of it just to be sure. The starter took off quickly and was done in about 12hrs which seemed promising. I put it in the fridge for a day before brewing.
On brew day, brought it to temp, and pitched it into relatively warm, 75 degree wort at around 3pm.

I ferment in an old fridge with a Johnson controller. I set it to 68 for this batch. Next morning it's rocking with a nice, large Krausen. NO problems with slow starts. I'm curious to see how it tastes and clears because I've been a regular user of S05 and would like to branch out to some other, neutral ale yeasts for my beers.

I also read this is rumored to be Pacman yeast? Has anyone confirmed this or does anyone have any links?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »
BRY-97 is definitely worth a try. Has great performance and flavor. I'm not giving up on S-05 though!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:41:35 am »
Maybe it was the slightly higher temps - I usually ferment S05 around 65 degrees and this was 68 to 70 but this thing is done after just three days. I haven't taken a gravity reading but the krausen has sunk and it's starting to clear already. Can't get much of any airlock activity rocking it either. Only yeast I've seen go this fast is the WLP Sandiego super!