Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Had to Dump Beer  (Read 5735 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Had to Dump Beer
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:11:00 pm »
There is nothing worse to me than having to dump beer, especially a lager that has been lagering since Febraury 8th, especially when it was a 10G batch which means I had to dump two kegs!   :'(

What I can't seem to figure out is what went wrong.  I'm guessing a bacteria, probably aceto.  But what would make a beer lose it's head?  It was carbonated but no head at all.  Never had that before.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Had to Dump Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »
There is nothing worse to me than having to dump beer, especially a lager that has been lagering since Febraury 8th, especially when it was a 10G batch which means I had to dump two kegs!   :'(

What I can't seem to figure out is what went wrong.  I'm guessing a bacteria, probably aceto.  But what would make a beer lose it's head?  It was carbonated but no head at all.  Never had that before.

Dave

Something in the mash? Fusels from a fermentation that got too high in temp.?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:23:14 pm »
It fermented at 52F for a week when I brought it to 57F as I put 10G of Pils with 2278 in the chest freezer.  It tasted great going in to the keg.  I carbed it and let it sit until tonight.  There was no identifiable off-flavor, kinda cidery but not really.  Just bad.  And if I poured it right down the middle, no head at all.  Very strange....
Dave Zach

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:27:26 pm »
I would look at the mash process before assuming an infection.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »
I would look at the mash process before assuming an infection.

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes.  14# Pilsner, 1#Crystal 20, 1#light munich, 1# flaked rice, 1# flaked maize 1# german wheat.  Started at 1.050 and ended at 1.012.  It tasted phenomenal going in to the keg which adds a level to my bummed-out-ness.  I was psyched to put it on tonight.....
Dave Zach

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:08 pm »
Dirty kegs?
Just guessing.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:01 am »
Kinda cidery means acetobacter, since its both kegs I'm guessing it happened prior to kegging.  I think the acetic acid must mess with head retention since most sour brews have little head retention.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:20 am »
Did you purge the kegs of O2 w/Co2? Did you primary ferment in a bucket?

If it makes you feel any better I have 15 bbls of Dubbel that I missed my OG with and can't figure out what to do with. It was my dumb fault for targeting 13 bbls on recipe and brewing it to 15. Tastes fine but boring and not to style and I don't have anything to call it so it's probably going to be dumped. Stuff happens.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:52 am »

If it makes you feel any better I have 15 bbls of Dubbel that I missed my OG with and can't figure out what to do with. It was my dumb fault for targeting 13 bbls on recipe and brewing it to 15. Tastes fine but boring and not to style and I don't have anything to call it so it's probably going to be dumped. Stuff happens.
NO!  Call it a Belgian Single, or Monk's Table.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:18 am »
Hey, I like Monk's Table. Might steal that!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:59 pm »
Dirty kegs?
Just guessing.

I'm pretty good about soaking the kegs in Oxiclean and then StarSan.  I was thinking it could be the kegs going down the list, but that would have to be some tough bacteria.  Anything is possible however....
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »
Kinda cidery means acetobacter, since its both kegs I'm guessing it happened prior to kegging.  I think the acetic acid must mess with head retention since most sour brews have little head retention.

It did taste a little sour now that you mention it.  Not overly bad, just a bit sour.  I wonder it this is the culprit.
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »
I'm not saying this is the cause, but I'm just curious - is this the one you used a bunch of acid malt in?  I didn't see it in your ingredient list - just wondering.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »

That is a bit of a higher volume Keith.  I like the Monk's Table idea.  Hate for beer to go to waste! 

I think I may chalk it up to the fermentation.  After looking at my notes again, the Pils with 2278 stalled at 1.030 after a week so I raised it to 68F for 5 days.  That means after this one burned out it was raised to 57F for a week and then 68F for 5 days.  My bet is that was the cause of some Aceto growing in there and souring the beer.  The Pils came out just fine.  Live, brew and learn!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »
I'm not saying this is the cause, but I'm just curious - is this the one you used a bunch of acid malt in?  I didn't see it in your ingredient list - just wondering.

Hey Paul.  Actually no acid malt in this one.  The PH was 5.7.  A little high but not overly alarming. 

Dave
Dave Zach