Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil Question  (Read 5955 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Boil Question
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 12:43:43 pm »
I don't know anything about it, and there aren't any customer reviews, but I saw this on the NB website the other day. Cheap...dunno about quality.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-dark-star-burner.html

I looked at that one also along with the Bayou KAB4 AND KAB6.  After reading the reviews and getting an offer from NorthernBrewer.com for a free Porter extract kit with the purchase of $125 or more, I decided to go with the Blichmann burner.  A little over my budget but it should last me a good long time.

A big +1 on the Blichmann, I got mine last week and used it for the first time on Sunday. Definitely a good investment, especially with the leg kit.

Despite my efforts to post the link, I'm glad you went for the higher quality product. This looked kinda cheap to me as well. I don't know much about the Blichmann either since my burner is homemade, but I would imagine it is a superior product. Good choice IMO!
Frank

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »
If you see picts of the Bayou vs Blichmann, the burners are identical, its the shroud surrounding them that's different. The Bayou just sits on the ground and is made from cast iron and the Blichmann can sit either on the ground, connected to their top-tier system or have legs installed. You're only paying more for the shroud and its options.

Bayou:

Blichmann:

Just the burner:

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:20 am »
Your are right Tonyp.  The options are what sold me, as well as, the Blichmann being SS.  It will be here Tuesday and we brew our first all-grain on Friday.  Can't wait. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »
You will love it. Good equipment. But I use a two burner Camp King

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
Hi Jim!  Good to see ya here!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
Thanks for helping me find it Denny

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »
Your are right Tonyp.  The options are what sold me, as well as, the Blichmann being SS.  It will be here Tuesday and we brew our first all-grain on Friday.  Can't wait.

FedEx delivered the burner today and I assembled it along with the 24" legs.  Brew day is Friday.  Can't wait.